HELP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HELP

Paddie
Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
I've been suffering with an "Invisible" illness for many years... apart from my slow speach & difficulty walking no one would look at me & say... your ill/disabled.
they only see me on the few occasions I make it out for a Drs' appointment.
Most of the time I'm usually in bed & certainly, housebound.
i used to live an extremely active life & had a career that I loved.
its got to the point now, that I just want to give up. I have tried, recently, to take my life on two occasions.
obviously, it didn't work.
im now even lower & considering again to take my life....
im extremely lonely & isolated & feel I'm trapped inside a useless body.....
paddie

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Paddie, do you have any mental health support? If so I’d encourage you to call them and discuss your thoughts.
    I too have these thoughts but somehow I manage to get through the day.
    What about family or friends that could visit you.

Please don’t try again at taking your life, call someone.

We are here for you too
  • Paddie
    Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Thank you Susan. I'm just finding so hard to accept that the things I used to do, I can't do anymore.
    i know I should be concentrating on the things I can do but as it's not much, it seems pointless.
    I am on antidepressants but not helping much.
    i have no family or friends to turn to.
    my GP knows how I feel but in the grand scale of things, what can he really do!!!
    Thank you for your support.... it means a lot xx
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Paddie, we sound kind of in the same boat. I know it seems pointless, and it’s hard to think of the positive.
    I seem to just think what’s the point in anything, stay in bed and not bother with anything.
    the antidepressants your on, have you been on them for a while? I’m seeing a psychiatrist next week, referral from mental health assessment, as my antidepressant were doubled and are still doing nothing except make me numb. 
    Maybe try getting an appointment with you gp and ask to be referred to Psychology or CPN or some mental health support. I know they are in short supply, Iv been waiting since March, but it worth a go.

I know you probably won’t feel like it but try to even go for a wee walk, just round the block, it may help you a little.

Im here if you need to chat and I’m sorry for referring to my own situation but thought it might help to know your not alone x
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Paddie   Pleased to meet you welcome sorry what you are going through.

Understand the issues and problems with disability or illness. I am no here to patronise you am here as a friend.  Will treat you with warmth and sensitivity.  Not here to judge, be critical just be here to help and advise if I can..

First I would try and speak to some one who will listen and offer some solutions' to your burdens. Fears and dreads we all have them.

That can come  form of talking to the Samaritans I understand you have problems with speech and communications.  Look at the Mind website for a lot of helpful, useful information.

I want to say to you we as a community many members have days of depression and it is finding how to cope.

Those that have illness or disability have real fears of try to come to terms with the problems they have.  I have this as you do every day. I woke up this morning. Had a lot of numbness and pain in my legs. Struggling to walk.

Anxiety can play a part.

What would you like to say to that person who is you. If you could.  Seeking support often can be beneficial to the well being.  Looking on line. Making some goals and plans small steps.

I know it is hard but what would you like to do. Forget the way you are now. Is the Doctor giving you support, are you being treated fairly or would or do you think changing your Doctor would help.?

What would like to see and be helped regarding your health.?

I had an addiction history. All the Doctors first really ignored my pleas and been not really helpful guidance and support not forth coming.  Even ejected from Doctors.

Had this thoughts of being worthless. Had those thoughts you are having. Called the support I need and got some one to listen.

Had to do this myself and got sorted and changed .Moved and went to another area. Took my first step to change.  Eleven years plus clean so it was a struggle.

You can do this I am here anytime.  Ready to listen.

Always in prayers and thoughts..

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness