Housing benefits if my partner moves in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefits if my partner moves in?

delise1
delise1 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
I have been receiving pip for a year I have 1non dependant and now my partner is moving in will I still receive housing benefit

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @delise1   Pleased to meet you welcome.

In reply to you question I am unsure of an answer but want to reassure you. Some one will know.

Either a member of our team or member of our community.

Have you seen our benefit advice could be an answer there maybe.

Also speaking to CAB is worth talking to them . Looking at benefit advice and information.  They have a lot of expertise and knowledge.

Also have a look at he DWP website or CAB  website has a lot of information on it . Which is useful to know.

We are a supportive community friendly.

Lots of advice, information and plenty of support.

Ask the community anything then some one will know.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • delise1
    @thepiceman thanks for your comments I will definitely check out the CAB to see were I go from there 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi @delise1 and a warm welcome to the community! Looking at CAB would be a great start. It would depend on your partners income to see if you still received housing benefits but your PIP would not be affected. You may also find the benefits calculator on the Scope website useful. I hope you get some answers :)
    Scope

• delise1
     Hi Chole _scope thanks for your comment but I would just like to know would my ESA support group stop because I don't work because of my disability 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, this is what I have found online:
    Work you can do while getting ESA. ... This is called 'permitted work', or 'supportedpermitted work'. Any job can be permitted work as long as each week you're workingunder 16 hours, and earning less than £125.50. It doesn't matter whether you're in the support group or the work-related activity group.
    (Work you can do while getting ESA - Citizens Advice)

ESA is a benefit to support people who cannot work, so not working would not stop you from getting the benefit
    Scope

• delise1
    Hi chole_scope thanks for your comment I really appreciate I also phone CAB and they also says that my ESA would not change 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's not exactly true, i'm afraid. It totally depends which ESA you're claiming and whether or not your partner is working. If you're claiming Contribution based ESA then if your partner works this won't affect any ESA you claim. If you're claiming Income Related ESA and your partner works, when he moves in with you this can affect your ESA. If he works 24 hours or more per week then you won't be entitled to any Income related ESA and your money will stop. You need to check whether it's contribution based ESA, Income related or contribution based with an income related top up. Check a recent award letter or you'll need to ring ESA and ask which one you're claiming and they will tell you.

Housing benefit may also be affected but again it depends whether your partner works and if so how much income her earns.

Your council tax reduction will also be affected because when he moves in you will no longer be entitled to the single person discount.

Any changes must be reported. Please do ring ESA and make absolutely sure which ESA you're claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Your PIP won't be affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • delise1
    Hello thanks again for all your comments am contribution based ESA I also know that I have to pay my full rent I don't get single person discount in council tax because my son works so I paid towards my council tax always
  • poppy123456
    Some people have an Income Related top up on their ESA, especially those that don't have a partner. Currently Contributions based ESA is £110.75 per week. Anything over that then it's an Income Related top up and once your partner moves in you'll need to report those changes.
  • delise1
    Hi poppy12345 thanks for your comments i received contribution based Esa I also received extra money for  disability  and exta money for support group so I received £127.15 a week I will definitely report it when he moved in but he won't moved in until a few months 
  • poppy123456
    The £127.15 per week means you at least receive an Income Related top up on your ESA claim. This is Enhanced disability premium of an extra £16.40 per week. If you worked and paid enough national Insurance contributions for the 2 tax years before your claim then yes, you could be on Contributions based with the Income Related top up. If not then it will be all Income Related. You'll be amazed at the amount of people that get confused by the 2 different types.
  • delise1
    Hi poppy12345 thanks for your comments my ESA  letter definitely says that am contribution based Esa I get enhanced rate of disability living allowance that's is only reason  I received extra money 
  • poppy123456
    Then it's Contribution based with an Income Related top up. The Enhanced disability premium £16.40 per week extra is part of Income Related. If your partner moves in with you and he works then it will be this premium that you will lose. Those that just claim Contribution based would not be claiming the Enhanced disability premium on top. Hope this helps.
  • delise1
    Popp12345 thanks again for your comments really appreciate it many thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.