Stair lifts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stair lifts

shaunmc
shaunmc Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Please can you advise me on how to get a chair lift fitted and who I ask etc ? My daughter is my only carer and I do not have any contact with social services etc they don’t seem to care, 
I’m really struggling to get upstairs and I am frustrated 

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @shaunmc

Thanks for your post.

You may be able to get a stairlift arranged by the local authority. First you will need to get the community Occupational Therapist (OT) to come to your home to assess your needs and if your home is suitable to have a stairlift installed. If they agree that a stairlift is what is needed to meet your assessed needs they would normally be able to arrange installation. However, it is likely that the local authority will have to carry out a check of your finances to see how much you might need to contribute towards the cost of the work.

In most areas you can request an assessment by the community OT yourself. Check your local authority website for the contact details of the department that deals with housing adaptations for disabled people. If you are struggling to find it and don't mind telling me which local authority area you live in then I can try to find it for you. Alternatively, you can ask your GP to refer you to them or give you the contact details. 

Just a note of caution about stairlifts. Although they are heavily promoted by private companies they are sometimes not the best solution to helping people stay as independent as possible at home. You actually need to be fairly able to use a stairlift safely and for people that use a wheelchair they require making a lot of transfers in and out of the wheelchair. Through-floor lifts or re-structuring the layout/use of the home or even moving to a more suitable property can sometimes be better options.  So don't be surprised if the OT has alternative ideas about how your assessed needs might best be met. 

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• shaunmc
    shaunmc Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you for your reply, I will try and find the address etc , but I do find it difficult and sometimes frustrating in looking for certain things on the web as I only have use of an iPhone, 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @shaunmc

If you want me to try to find the details for you, but would prefer to correspond more privately, you can email me via helpline@scope.org.uk, mark your email "For the Attention of Jean" include your postcode and I can check things out for you.

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness