How do I support my some to go to counselling? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I support my some to go to counselling?

Options
chrissysmurf
chrissysmurf Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have 17yr old with adhd and hyperkenetic disorder . Recently he was held at knife point by this person with mental health problems. He went to there flat to see friend who was staying there when there were problem with this person. They got a knife threatened my son, held him in the flat for 3hrs. The police were called and by the time they turned up they had calmed down and had released him. We got him home and he was in state.we have been offered counselling from the police.  But he won't go he says he's coping but he is not.he has really gone down hill now he won't leave the house. If he goes out in the car and sees her he freaks out. I'm at my wits end now and desperate for any help and advice. It's really effecting my health.  I'm really worried about this .and don't know what to do. Please can anyone help. Thank you 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @chrissysmurf   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry what has happened. I am unsure of answer to you question. I know some one from our community or team will know. .

I wanted to welcome you as a new member of the community.  We are a supportive, friendly community.

All I can say is hope you do get the correct advice from any of our community members.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chrissysmurf and a warm welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your son, that must have been awful! I hope the community are able to offer some advice. If you need anything at all then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @chrissysmurf,

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your son. Have you spoken to your GP about whether they may be able to help and suggest some support?
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chrissysmurf
    What a frightening thing to happen! 

The police understand that sometimes victims of crime have a delayed response so they may still be able to offer support, or as Liam says, your GP is a good place to start.

But if your son doesnt want to see someone then you may struggle. 

Best of luck to you, let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can help with.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness