esa or universal credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa or universal credit?

fridgelicker
fridgelicker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and trying to find information on the best benefit options for my son William, who has autism. He already gets PIP, with enhanced rate for mobility, and he's due to move into Supported Living on 8th Sept. He left college in July, but I haven't claimed for Universal Credit yet, because, although we live in a UC area, he will be moving to an area that still has ESA (with UC due to be brought in, in that area, October this year)
 I have heard that ESA pays more, and also that the government has promised that anyone who already receives ESA will not be worse off when they are moved to UC - is this correct? He is losing benefit while he waits to move to his new address, but we will wait if it means that he will ultimately receive more money with ESA. I can't start a claim for ESA until he actually moves to his new address, because if I claim now it will register him with UC, and that will be permanent. 
Its all very complicated! Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated, many thanks

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.