Starting puberty — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Starting puberty

dylski
dylski Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have a ten and a half year old daughter who it looks like is just about to start puberty. My daughter has the mental age to a 12 to 18 baby and I was just looking for advice on what different ways I can ease her through puberty with the least pain and discomfort . Any adivice including medical would be greatfully recieved 

Comments

• monie215
    monie215 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have no personal experience of this myself but my friend has a daughter who's the same mental age but a grown woman due to Meningitis at 2 yrs old. I once asked her how she got through these difficulties, and let's be honest , it is difficult, and she spoke to her Dr about it, the Dr put her on a medication, I suppose the pill/injections that stopped her having periods all together which may be an option for you. Not knowing your Daughter nor the circumstances, it's something perhaps best discussed with your GP. 
    Hope she gets the help she needs and you ,the support bless you xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @PSHEexpert do you have any thoughts? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dylski
    dylski Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    As a widowed  father to a ten year old daughter who has a condition called agenasis of the corpus callosum I am looking at getting as much knowledge on what options are available to my daughter who I think is just starting her early steps into puberty as her breasts seem to be beginning to develop. My daughter has the mental age to a 12 to 18 month and her late mother used to suffer from heavy periods so I am looking to increase my knowledge of what options are available so that when I go to see her neurologist I have at least a working idea of what is available. 
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Hello all - my apologies for not responding to this thread sooner, I have missed a couple this last week or so and am just catching up.  Sincere apologies.

From my point of view - I am non-clinical, I'm in education so I can't advise effectively around medical issues.  From my experience with students, there are some for whom having a medical intervention has been very supportive as a mechanism for us to have longer to prepare them and explain things to minimise distress, and others for whom it has been less helpful, so I would always say that GP or consultant has to be the place to start.

With regards resources and explanations, there is set of animated BBC LearningZone clips which are non verbal and aimed at young people with severe learning disabilities, which I have used to help reassure and comfort young people with whom I have been struggling to explain things.  The clips themselves are now cached but you can still access some of them via this link.  

I have also been using the new Tom and Ellie books, in particular 'What's Happening to Tom' and 'What's Happening to Ellie', with some of my students to support conversations and signing.  They are by Kate Reynolds and you can just get them on Amazon.  

Have you discussed at all with school whether they have any plans for puberty education to take place?
    - Gill 

Brightness