If I move in with my partner will benefits be affected? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I move in with my partner will benefits be affected?

25121960 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

if I move in with my partner will her pip and pension be affected an d will my esa be affected  

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @25121960 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for your question. Please can I say some one from our community or a member of our team.  Will know the answer.

Have you looked at our benefit advice PIP.

Have you spoken to CAB  for benefit advice. They are worth contacting for advice, form filling. Have expertise and knowledge on a wealth of related issues to benefits.

We are a supportive friendly community. Care and share

Ask the community anything.  Some one will know.

Hope that helps..

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @25121960 and a very warm welcome to the community. I hope your queries are able to be answered. You could start by using the benefits calculator to see what would happen if you were both in the same household. I know that her PIP would not be affected. Is she currently working? The income could affect your ESA.
    Scope

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @25121960

If the ONLY income your partner has, is PIP and a pension (not Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction) then her income will not be affected by you moving in. If she receives a Pension Credit top-up, or any other income-related benefits, it will be.

With your ESA, if it contains any part which is 'income-related' (as opposed to 'contributions based' then yes it will be affected.

This is because income based benefits are calculated in relation to an applicable amount for the household rather than the individual.

Another thing to watch for is whether you can still claim 'legacy benefits' such as ESA or Housing Benefit in your area at all, as most are now Universal Credit.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.