Volunteering - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering

2»

Comments

• SHEBA
    SHEBA Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi all,done some volunteering at a couple of mental health charities,doing various duties ,as a co ordinator of mutualhelp meetings for people with all types of issues,to visiting hospitals,and resource centres ,talking to patients,reporting issues ,found it confidence building ,and helped my sense of self worth
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SHEBA and a very warm welcome to the community! This is great news! It sounds like amazing work :)
    Scope

• SHEBA
    Very kind Chloe,it was ,I haven't done any for a while,one has closed down ,due to lack of funding,the other was a while ago,but was extremely beneficial ,in educating me ,and getting to know others.
  • Chloe_Scope
    You've still done it @SHEBA! I am so glad you found it beneficial- I love volunteering :)
    Scope

• SHEBA
    Would love to get involved in something,nothing too much,as I am social phobic,and stuck in ,most of the time,and cant travel too far,most of what I did was local[ish],and expenses paid.

• Chloe_Scope
    @SHEBA, any work that you're able to manage is amazing! It is also okay to not be able to do anything at this moment in time. Volunteering when you're able is more than enough! You come first :)
    Scope

• SHEBA
    Thanks Chloe,if I get the chance I will,its a case of things coming together,I am almost always alone[apart from ,some anti social types] most of the time.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Well l hope the community is able to be there for you during those times @SHEBA :)
    Scope

• SHEBA
    I hope so ,too glad theres one resource to be there ,thank you.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @SHEBA I understand where you are coming from as I have suffered from agoraphobia myself (recovering) and volunteering for me was a way of me being in control of what I was doing outside the home at my pace. I learned the joy of giving my time for free and receiving so much in return. I tried something I wasnt sure I could do but wanted to do and found I loved it. I wish I could do it regularly. Its like paying it forward. But my pain issues got worse and other commitments are stopping me right now. Its important to know your limits too. 
  • SHEBA
    Debbie,yes ,you are right,I was sceptical, I could do the volunteering,being social phobic,but was surprised ,that I felt better when I had gotten used to talking with like minded people,it took a while,but I got a lot out of helping others ,and it helped my general confidence.Sorry to hear of your pain issues,I have had chronic pain,for 22yrs,getting worse,but would still like to do whatever I can,sadly many charities,are being stopped by lack of funding,some even closing ,after 30 yrs.Thanks so much for your contact,appreciate your comments ,stay strong. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for your input on this @debbiedo49 and @SHEBA, I am sure others will find this interesting and it is really nice to hear what you have been up to :) 
    Scope

• Giant
    Giant Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi,
    I am on ESA and used to be in the WRAG.  I was forced by the jobcentre into volunteering.  Finding a placement was difficult because of my visual impairment, but I started doing admin work for the CAB 2 years ago.  Because I have anxiety and depression I struggle to get there regularly and am away more than I am there.  When I do go I enjoy it.  Thankfully since I started I have been put in the support group so no longer get hounded by the jobcentre.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear you enjoy your work when you're there, @Giant. I'm sure many others will be able to relate to the struggle of getting out sometimes, but it's great that it seems to be worthwhile!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I volunteered at a charity for my work experience during secondary school and ever since then I've always been been devoted to volunteering or charity work. It was eye-opening and I loved every second of it. Volunteering is the best way to make friends and build your confidence! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness