What happens at a developmental assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens at a developmental assessment?

kaza814
kaza814 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi just looking for some advice on what to expect at my sons appointment. He is 19months hd words and lost them at about 14 months he now just babbles and squels (its ear piercing) he has been behind on most of his milestones. Been seen by salt, nursery nurse, and pediatrician (pediatrician said she was referring on to a developmental pediatrician as she deals mainly with his gastro issues milk allergy and sensory issues relating to food. He now has an appointment for the start of october (only 7 weeks after being told he was beng referred on) the phrase autistic tendancies has been thrown around alot with no one willing to really give any answers. I just dont know what to expect at his appointment , what to ask ect 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kaza814
    Welcome to the community! I can only imagine how distressing this is for you :( I wish I knew how to advise and help you prepare but I'm unsure, I'm sorry. Please keep us updated and we will be here for you every step of the way. I really do wish you all the best and hope you get the answers you need!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kaza814 and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. I cannot imagine how you are feeling and wish you and your son the very best. I am not fully certain on what a developmental appointment would look like, however, I assume the first appointment would be about taking down his medical history, talking about your son's milestones and what they can do to help. I hope it goes well. Please do let me know if there is anything else that I can do :)
    Scope

• harryandmum10
    harryandmum10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    We've had one done recently for our son who's been diagnosed with autism. They ask you questions about your pregnancy, medical history for your son and about his development milestones. Ours was done then our son had an ADOS assessment. Everyone was friendly and it was just answering questions and form filling 

Brightness