World Suicide Day please be aware this is an emotive topic — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

World Suicide Day please be aware this is an emotive topic

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiedo49 Thank you for the notice.

We need to be talking a lot more. With my good self having the life I have it is always in the back of my mind .

The times I have been depressed and have struggled with the emotions and the thoughts I had.

Always be supportive and have empathy.  Be sensitive and care. The time to listen and as I can. Some one to turn to.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    This definitely should be talked about openly without fear of judgment. It’s awful to know, first hand, that many people who ask for help are either ignored, fobbed off or not taken seriously.

So many lives could be saved if there were the resources, help available 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    With personal experience myself when things got really dark but having my son helped me stop and think of the impact it would have on others. I can empathise. In my heart I don’t believe I would do it but understand how bad things can get that thoughts go there. Also my son has had suicidal thoughts in the past and it never far from my mind when he gets depressed how low he can be. I feel so bad for younger people today as they struggled with mental health issues and the stress of coping with everyday life. Looking at something on the internet in some cultures they encourage yoga/relaxation/ meditation type activities in schools which I think must be amazing to experience and hopefully reduces stress for children. We could do well to learn from this. Take care folks
  • susan48
    @debbiedo49, having someone or something to help the thoughts helps. Yes as the increased awareness of mental health the more younger people can open up to the thoughts, problems they have , hopefully without stigma.
    I did try to take my own life 3 years ago, I was in ICU for 3 days.
    I did try and ask for help for weeks leading up to it from my previous GP and NHS 24 but was told “to get out more”!

There is so much pressure from social media, peer pressure etc on young people today that sadly it’s no wonder there’s so many with MH problems.

Thank you for posting this thread
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiedo49 @susan48   Thank you for sharing and your stories.

Much appreciated and I am proud to call you both friends.  Never easy to discuss personal issues that effect you and your wellbeing.

What upsets me and cause me a lot of pain is the attitudes of some Mental health charities.

Needs to be openness and honesty.  I have volunteered and been a client of Mental health charities.

Baffled and puzzled by the last one. Never allowed to discuss our own mental health issues.

All the time I would go into a room usually meetings and made to sit and never discuss or allowed what is happening to me.

Even asked for a session to discuss. With a support worker. Never understood that at all.

Having addiction history being an alcoholic and sometimes the long distant past wished to end it all. Yet tried very much unsuccessfully to discuss this emotive and sensitive subject of addiction relating to thoughts of anxiety, depression to suicide.

Had team manager come on the phone telling me off for doing so. I was concerned after a term of being in the charity. The final word was an Email. No after care, nothing. Still does now concern me.

One session of counselling almost harmed me mentally due to the instant of the therapist.  Thinking I was a risk and said so every session. No matter how long a go it was.

Many of the therapists are going by the book and what they learn at College.  Which is classic text book therapy but every person is different.

I wanted to be fair, open and honest about how I feel.. This helps and so does talking.

I asked last charity about  Schools and Colleges.  Can we go in and just be supportive and offer words that can heal not harm.

Take a group in lets chat and be aware of the differences in our society. The insecurities the loneliness all needs to be debated.

Children get lonely . I know that myself.

I want to be supportive, understanding ready to listen anytime.

Thank you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I use mental health charities and I’m many cases in job adverts it states must have shared or lived experience of mental health issues. Yet, it seems they can’t openly talk about it in client meetings although we are supposed to be equals. I can understand why in some cases but not in all cases. I appreciate their experience and would love to empathise. @susan48 that’s terrible you didn’t get help when you asked for it. 
  • susan48
    @debbiedo49, I reported the GP after I came out of hospital and felt stronger and now have a fantastic GP.

Brightness