Does an inheritance affect my DLA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does an inheritance affect my DLA?

barbiedyson55
barbiedyson55 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello would anyone know how an inheritance of money might affect my dla Housing/council tax benefits please. Will I be made homeless. I’ve copd/emphysema and a heart defect tia

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo, would you be able to help with this, please? :) Thank you!
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

barbiedyson55
    barbiedyson55,

I don't have much to add to Mike's advice - thanks to Mike as ever. Your DLA is unaffected. You don't mention income-related ESA but if you get that, the effects are the same as for housing benefit - if the inheritance is more than £16,000, no income-related ESA, no Housing Benefit, no council tax reduction. 

You'll be expected to pay your rent & council tax from the savings. As long as you spend them on things like that (& other everyday living expenses, ie things you need, or immediately repayable debts) then once your savings go below £16,000 you could reclaim. However, I'd be aware that even if Universal Credit hasn't started in your area now, it may be that it will have started by the time the savings go down. So in the future, if the savings go below £16,000 because you've lived on them, you may have to claim Universal Credit and council tax reduction.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• barbiedyson55
    barbiedyson55 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank for the info it’s much appreciated:)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.