From DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From DLA to PIP

SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
Well off I go, have just told DWP that my care component needs to increase so need to change over to PIP (I was already aware of that) so let's see what happens and OMG have just contacted the local Social Services to request a stair lift as I can't get up Everest anymore haha, will keep you's posted, enjoy the weather (ruddy killing me) and good luck from Seth Laa

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    All the best for your PIP application, @SethLaa!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your acessment moving from DLA to PIP most people lose out because the scoring criteria is about your abilities to manage and doing things chores ect. And lastly your mobility issues. Keep posting I know we will wait for a positive result September time don't forget to request a copy of your acessment report.
  • SethLaa
    Thanks Pippa x
  • SethLaa
    wilko said:
    Good luck with your acessment moving from DLA to PIP most people lose out because the scoring criteria is about your abilities to manage and doing things chores ect. And lastly your mobility issues. Keep posting I know we will wait for a positive result September time don't forget to request a copy of your acessment report.
    Thanks Wilco, am really struggling now compared to last year but am aware and prepared for the onslaught by DWP, as for doing such things as 'chores' the last time I tried to mop the kitchen floor I looked like a drunk morris dancer
  • SethLaa
    Didn't mean to be offensive to Morris Dancers,sorry
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    SethLaa said:
    I don't think you were. Why is it that morris dancers all tend to dance close to a public house?
  • SethLaa
    Yadnad said:
    SethLaa said:
    I don't think you were. Why is it that morris dancers all tend to dance close to a public house?
    PMSL
  • SethLaa
    Had a visit yesterday from social services, I was hoping for a stair lift but by the time the Occupational Therapist left I was left feeling that they want to knock my home down and start again, they want to do loads, maybe it's a pipe dream or  I am much more disabled than I thought, let's see what happens
  • angi
    angi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Glad the OT is rooting for you. In many areas they can't help most of the time due to cost cutting, 
  • Yadnad
    angi said:
    Glad the OT is rooting for you. In many areas they can't help most of the time due to cost cutting, 
    Absolutely the case. There are very few councils that have the reserve funding for adaptions of that nature. Northamptonshire is a prime example to be followed shortly by Somerset.

Here in Kent which sees both extremes - wealth and poverty, very little money is available to provide for anything more than the absolute minimum.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I needed a stair lift in my previous address but was told that under no circumstances would one be put in due to it being excessive cost. I even had a hard time getting a shower room changed to a wet room. I think it comes down to available council funding and my area is always complaining about a shortage of sufficient funding.

Mind you, there are rumours going round for years about this council needing to be bribed to get anything done. The rumours have persisted for a decade and I can remember when Tesco wanted a specific location and donated a million pounds to the council to fund the road changes. A local paper somehow got hold of their finances and strangely (or maybe not so strangely) that million never appeared in the accounts. Caused merry hell when the paper published and openly accused people of accepting bribes yet never got taken to court.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Yadnad
    Mind you, there are rumours going round for years about this council needing to be bribed to get anything done. The rumours have persisted for a decade and I can remember when Tesco wanted a specific location and donated a million pounds to the council to fund the road changes. A local paper somehow got hold of their finances and strangely (or maybe not so strangely) that million never appeared in the accounts. Caused merry hell when the paper published and openly accused people of accepting bribes yet never got taken to court.

TK
    That does highlight how rumours can turn to accusations.

Taking the Tesco case that you mention, any large scale development that has had the plans accepted will be forced to provide funding for the infrastructure needed. This could be a new road layout, new school etc. The developer would hand the money over to the council where it would be ring fenced as Section 106 monies. It would not appear in the every day accounts as income, but as allocated funding reserves.

The infrastructure would be built and the money released to fund it. In fact with the majority of developments the developer has to pay into that fund for such things as grass cutting of open spaces. Doing this reduces the impact on the residents through their council tax payments and places it quite rightly on the developers.

Not everything you read in newspapers is true, in fact in my experience less than 20% of it would be the actual truth.Truth doesn't sell papers, innuendos and rumours do. 
  • SethLaa
    The OT did mention that the work and materials will hopefully come from a 'Disabled Facilities Grant'. I can do no more than hope,dream and pray,lets see what happens (or doesn't happen lol).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Details of the disabled facilities grant here. https://www.disability-grants.org/disabled-facilities-grant.html

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    My Dad recently applied for a disabled facilities grant from Somerset council, and got it. They even added things he hadn't applied for, like a larger step and a handrail by the back door. The work was completed within 2 months of the original application date.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    When I first needed adaptions someone from OT came round and put up rails in various places, including front and back doors, and a frame over the toilet to save bending and a few other things. He was just a mechanic and didn't assess me as such just sorted some simple assistance's. These were more helpful at the time than the assessment until I needed to move to avoid stairs completely then I needed the report to prove I needed different accommodation.

Although I have recently asked for another assessment this hasn't happened again which is unfortunate as it means I still cannot sleep in my bed.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • SethLaa
    Details of the disabled facilities grant here. https://www.disability-grants.org/disabled-facilities-grant.html

Thanks Poppy x
  • SethLaa
    Am currently filling in the PIP form, wow it's a bit much but what concerns me is that I asked my local surgery for medical records going back 10 years (that's when I was confirmed with MS), there is tons of paperwork so should I send all of it as I am worried that if I try to narrow it down to what I think is important then I may omit the crucial stuff but at the same time don't expect the HCP to bother reading most of it and lol am dreading the postal charges as it won't fit in the envelope that was sent. Any advice will be much appreciated, many thanks from Russell. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

10 years of evidence is a little over the top and you're right they most likely won't read all of that. They do state that evidence should be within the last 2 years, but i have sent in evidence older than that myself and it's be used.  This is why you should get some help with filling in those forms and advice on what evidence to send. Little is more, in this case because evidence can contradict each other in some ways.

If you can't find a disability advice centre to help you then when filling in the forms you should put down as much information as possible and have the PIP descriptors next to you when you do. The more information you put down the better for you. Use extra paper if needed. There's guides on the internet you can use for filling out the forms. Extra time can be given to return the forms, if needed. Ring DWP and they'll give you the standard 14 days extra.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SethLaa
    Thanks Poppy, methinks it will be a good idea now to go back maybe 3 years as this will include MRI scans as well as all the Stem Cell and Chemotherapy I had last year, it bothers me that some of the paperwork states 'secondary' progressive and some state 'primary' progressive. I think I need to leave it in the lap of the gods fingers crossed 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.