Children With ASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children With ASD

Medi
Medi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi guys hope you are all well,I just wanted to ask if children with ASD are eligible for higher rate mobility.Thanks.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    They can do,  but it is by no means automatic.

The higher rate mobility component can be paid to a child from the age of three years. It is for children who are unable, or virtually unable to walk, or where the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to their life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in their health. Children can also qualify if they have a severe visual impairment, are both deaf and blind, or are severely mentally impaired.

Four factors are taken into account when deciding whether your child is virtually unable to walk. The test is whether their:

‘ability to walk out of doors is so limited, as regards to:

• the distance over which
    • the speed at which
    • the length of time for which or
    • the manner in which

(they) can make progress on foot without severe discomfort, that (they are) virtually unable to walk.’

To qualify for the higher rate mobility component because of severe mental impairment, the child has to meet all the following criteria:

• be entitled to the higher rate care component of DLA
    • suffer from a state of arrested development or incomplete physical development of the brain which results in severe mental impairment of intelligence or social functioning
    • exhibit ‘disruptive behaviour’ which ‘is extreme’ and ‘regularly requires another person to intervene and physically restrain them to prevent them from causing injury to themselves or another, or damage to property’
    • be so unpredictable that they require another person to watch over them whenever they are awake
    Source: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/disability-living-allowance?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48_Rr7DB3QIVBIvICh0ZHQrDEAAYAiAAEgJkpPD_BwE

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Medi and a warm welcome to the community! Like stated above, this is a possibility. Is it PIP or DLA that you are applying for? You can take online tests on behalf of your child to see if there is a possibility that they would be entitled to. Please note that an assessor may score your child differently, I wish you the very best of luck!
    Scope

• Medi
    Medi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you guys for the reply. Really appreciate it. 

Brightness