Do I have to look for work if I have a sick note? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to look for work if I have a sick note?

taff50
taff50 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone.hope I'm in the right place.i am currently suffering with anxiety and depression.have been for the last couple of years.i currently on universal credit.i am covered by a sick note until December.currently waiting for an appeal hearing for the esa element of universal credit.my job coach is telling me I have to look for work.is this right while I have a sick note

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taff50
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure however another member of the community may know the answer and will be in contact with you soon to advise you. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jane1973
    jane1973 Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Hi @taff50 when i had my sick note it said i was not to work,  i had to send my sick notes into dwp for a year but was never asked to look for a job as my sick note covered me, maybe there is a bit of confusion somewhere, if you are ill, how can you look for work? Maybe someone on here with more expertise will be along shortly to advise you, try not to worry x
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Were you originally claiming ESA and were found fit for work and then claimed UC? If so then you won't be able to go back onto ESA if the Tribunal goes in your favour.

UC is different to ESA and even with a sick/fit note then can make you look for work for a certain amount of hours but it totally depends on your job coach. Some are more understanding than others, and won't reduce the amount of hours you need to do. Have you spoke to your job coach? If not then speak to them and see if they will reduce your hours. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @taff50

Poppy is spot on. It's at the Work Coach's discretion as to whether or not you will be excused from looking for work.

My experience is that generally if you're waiting for a LCW appeal they tend to be being quite understanding, but it sounds like you may be unlucky.

I second the suggestion to go and throw yourself on their mercy (taking evidence with you), but if that fails then also making a complaint, perhaps speaking to your MP may help.

Best of luck with it! Let us know how you're getting on.

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• taff50
    taff50 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I got on ok with my job coach.i don't have to look for work.big relief.thanks everyone

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.