Help with Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with Carers Allowance

Options
SandraMay6
SandraMay6 Scope Volunteer Posts: 5 Listener
I too received a letter from the DWP asking me to go into the Job Centre for an interview and as many others of you have said it has made me feel physically sick.

I am a carer for my disabled daughter who turns 16 in a few months.  The form is asking for lots of information about our finances and we have been asked to bring in bank statements, Premium Bond proofs etc. which I am happy to do but I hadn't realised that Carers Allowance is means tested and am now worried that we may have to pay money back because we have savings.

Also, we had another letter to say that at 16 she is expected to be able to deal with her own DAL which will become PIP.  She cannot do this and so I have put myself down as her 'represenative' - is this interview likely to be because of this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,062 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Savings/capital doesn't affect carers allowance but if you work and earn more than £120 per week then you won't be entitled to claim it.

You don't state which other benefits you receive other than carers allowance. Other benefits are means tested such as Income Support, Income related ESA and JSA, Universal credit , housing benefit and council tax reduction. If you claim any of these then any savings/capital of £6,000 will affect your means tested benefits by £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything £16,000 and over and you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. Any over payment will have to be repaid. If you do have savings then this is more than likely what the appointment is for...maybe someone reported you?

You can become an appointee for your daughter, if you're not already. You will need to ring DWP and ask to become her appointee. They will then send a DWP representative to your home to fill out the forms. See this link for further details.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SandraMay6
    SandraMay6 Scope Volunteer Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks.  Get DLA for my daughter but this is due to be renewed in December and last time it was a battle.  I understand that this is moving to PIP - dreading the DWP rep. visit as my daughter is extremely anxious.

Also, currently receive Child Tax Credit although still awaiting our Tax Credit allocation for this year - think I will lose this when we move to Universal Credit as we do have savings.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,062 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When your daughter reaches 16 she'll be sent a letter to apply for PIP, even if that's before her renewal time for DLA. Payments for her DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP, providing the forms are received by the date on the letter. Evidence will be needed to support the claim as they rarely contact anyone for this.

As for your benefits, do you not claim any other benefits like Income Support, housing benefit, JSA or ESA? If not is this because you live with a partner that works?

Carers Allowance is a taxable benefit but savings/capital doesn't affect this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.