Rent on UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rent on UC

Anthony1987
Anthony1987 Community member Posts: 93 Listener
edited September 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
What happens with ur rent when u change to universal credit do we have to pay it out of our own money or can u still get help with it ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's different elements to UC and the housing element is one of them. To claim this element you'll need a tenancy agreement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thanks i did phone up Council and they said universal credit will tell them or soemthing  as my first payment is next month but got told will have to use my first payment for rent
  • poppy123456
    Have you given DWP a copy of your tenancy agreement? You won't be paid the housing element of UC without first doing this. Your rent money (housing element) is then in with your UC payment every month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Anthony1987
    Havn't been told to hand in areement just got told will get a phone call I'm  defo getting paid on the 21st next month full lot as the woman told me to day but no one said nothing what to do about rent just said u be two weeks bend if u can't  afford it 
  • poppy123456
    Please take your tenancy agreement to your local job centre because without this you won't have the housing element added to your UC.
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.