ESA underpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

Luv44
Luv44 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Just heard on BBC that the DWP will be paying back payments of ESA to 2011.
I recently received my backdated EDP to Oct 2014..  so it seems that everyone will now get it backdated to when they converted from IB to ESA from 2011.. 
This issue was discussed on BBC this morning by Paul Lewis who presents Money Box on the radio.. 
good luck everyone 

Comments

• anth22
    anth22 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
    Hi Luv44 can i ask please how long did it take DWP to sort your back pay out ? :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Luv44 thank you for sharing this with the community!
    Scope

• lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    I waiting for my pip appeal for my medical health do any one no if I can get it back bated to 2011 wen thay stop it that if I win my appeal for my medical health can eny one shed some lite on it for me please 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi lisabrazil80

Usually, people are appealing a PIP decision on a new clam or on a renewal,  made some time ago. Where the appeal tribunal find that they are entitled to either more or some PIP after all, arrears are dated from the date when the claim was made or the renewal  due. 

But there are some cases that don't work quite like this, because by the time the appeal is heard, the person is into a fresh entitlement period and needs to have made a new claim to get paid for the later period.

If you have an adviser helping you with your appeal, ask them what is the appeal result that you are aiming for. 

i hope that this helps. 

Gill_Scope
  • spike58
    spike58 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi luv44
    can I ask how long it took you to receive your payout please?
  • Luv44
    Luv44 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi Spike58,
    i was told 12wks but was paid in 3 wks .. 
    that was a shock. I envisaged months but seems I was lucky..
    im still waiting for the money they owe me prior to 21/10/14.
    seeing as the dwp have all the information they need I’m hoping it won’t be too long. 
    Good luck 
  • spike58
    spike58 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you Luv44, hopefully your wait won't be long :)
  • ChunkiMunki
    ChunkiMunki Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I've been waiting now for 8 weeks and still no news. 

I called the number today and they told me they still haven't processed my claim. I doubt they will meet the 12 week limit in regards to my case.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ChunkiMunki! How frustrating, fingers crossed for some better news soon.
  • ChunkiMunki
    Thanks for the welcome Pippa, I'm trying to stay positive about the whole situation.
  • jmaw
    jmaw Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Chunki Munki,
    could you please share the telephone number you rang to check on your claim....I sent the form in weeks and weeks ago but have heard nothing from them but have now lost the letter with their contact number on. 

Cheers Jim
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    All contact telephone numbers here in this link. https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus/existing-benefit-claims

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jmaw, and thanks for sharing the link Poppy!
  • jmaw
    jmaw Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    outsider contractors such as Gravitas dealing with the enquiries as to entitlement  Jobcentre plus not a lot of help and the number on Poppy123456 post proved in effective in my case.....waiting for the Manager of the local Job centre to ring me

• poppy123456
    I'm not sure why that number in the link is ineffective as that's the number to ring for all enquiries for existing benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maxter
    maxter Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    ive been waiting to hear since i had my telephone appointment on the 16th july,i wasnt given a designated number to ring.
  • ChunkiMunki
    jmaw said:
    Chunki Munki,
    could you please share the telephone number you rang to check on your claim....I sent the form in weeks and weeks ago but have heard nothing from them but have now lost the letter with their contact number on. 

Cheers Jim

0800 169 0346

Good luck jmaw!
  • paramount7force
    paramount7force Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I've been waiting exactly 11 weeks tomorrow after filling the esa 3 form in over the telephone I've been ringing them every week since about the 8 week stage can't see them getting back to me by next week. Don't even know if I'm gonna be getting any back pay at the moment just hoping so.
  • poppy123456
    Means tested benefits depends on circumstances. Living with a partner and household income.
  • paramount7force
    paramount7force Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Means tested benefits depends on circumstances. Living with a partner and household income.
    Yes but shouldn't I get an answer within 12 weeks I've been waiting 11 weeks tomorrow when I rang up yesterday I was told I could be waiting another 4 weeks. I get esa cb support group at the moment and high rate care pip low rate mobility living alone.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.