How do I get a ramp fitted outside my house? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a ramp fitted outside my house?

SylviaMorrison72
SylviaMorrison72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
hi my name is sylvia, i am a 46 year old woman who is having several medical problems including mobility problems! i live in a ground floor flat that has certain things to help a disabled person the only problem that i have is that there is no ramp at the front of the building! i have rang the local council about having a ramp put outside to help me be more independent,but they are saying that i dont fit the criteria! i am feeling more&more isolated! i attend a mental health support group once a week which i really enjoy,a few weeks ago we went on a trip to southport and had problems because i used my mobility scooter which i bought so that i could be more independent but it seems to be causing even more issues! i actually got in touch with my local paper and they did a story about the way i was treated! it gave me a boost at the time but it makes me feel so angry! does anyone have any ideas how i can overcome these issues i can walk a little but have recently been diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my spine! i have a p.a to help me around the house and to get me out as i also have mental health problems and anxiety! so the only time i leave my flat i need help and the ramp situation would help me so much! i cant even say that i use the mobility scooter! any advice would be grateful for thanks foor reading.

Comments

• mumjac
    mumjac Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi Sylvia , have you tried age UK my housing wouldn't put a shower over my bath ? they told me to ring UK i did and came out put shower in ,tiled round bath new light,a fan ,and new floor
  • SylviaMorrison72
    SylviaMorrison72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    @mumjac would age UK help as I am still relatively young! They are saying that I'm not eligible because of being in a flat! I even asked if I could make a ramp myself to use as and when I want to go out on my own which they said no too also! So it just makes me feel very dependent on others! Which is very frustrating! Xxx
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @SylviaMorrison72

At 46 years of age I think you will be too young to benefit from the services of Age UK

Unfortunately, I don't think the local authority community OT is going to be able to assist you, as the ramp is to enable the use of a mobility scooter, which doesn't full within their criteria.

Even if it was to enable you to access the building in a wheelchair prescribed by the NHS wheelchair clinic, which would normally be within their criteria I think that  it will be problematic as you are not talking about a ramp on your own property but for a communal area.

You could ask your building landlord if they are willing to make an adaptation, but as they will be under no obligation it is unlikely that they will do so.

Your alternative is probably, if it is appropriate to the building and other circumstances, is to buy a light weight portable ramp for your carer to put in place as necessary.

Sorry I can't be more positive with this

Best Wishes
    Jean    

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness