Pip Assessment report being inaccurate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment report being inaccurate

Horrified65
Horrified65 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just received a copy of my assessors report which I asked for immediately due to the way I was treat in the interview.
I am horrified that half of what I said is not in the report.
She says I have normal power and movement in both legs despite arthritis in my right hip and degenerative discs in my lower back which causes pain and numbness in my left leg, this also gives way sometimes. I would normally use sticks and a wheelchair but because I was able to walk 10m on the carpet she is assuming I can walk 20-50 metres aided - what an absolute joke! I would be in agony for the day if had to do this often and would take me forever. I am guessing I will now lose my enhanced mobility, which I have been getting for years.
I also have degenerative discs in my neck which have been operated on once and needing it again. She made me do movements that had me in tears! She has said that I can dress using aids even though I said I need my husband to help dress my lower body.
I said I needed assistance in and out of the bath as I cannot lift my left leg well but she has just put that I only shower when my husband is home for the safe feeling.

I cannot believe that half of what I said has been omitted!

I have not received the award but I know what is coming.

So upset at all of this!

Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Horrified65
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. Have you considered appealing the decision?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Horrified65
    I dont actually have the decision yet but just know from the report what it will be.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Horrified65 and welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear that the report was so incorrect. I do wish you the best of luck with the decision. However, if you do have to appeal then this is something the community will definitely be able to help with.
    Scope

• bronwyn
    bronwyn Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My assessment was very similar ,my daughter pushed me in a wheelchair to the examination room and hooked up with me til I sat down in the chair ,I was stated as being able to walk 10 to 20 yards unaided and the most I walked with my daughters help was approx 5 foot , I’m now losing my motability  vehicle  on 30 October despite still waiting for mandatory reconsideration , I wasn’t even examined on my legs and part of my claim stated I have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in my right knee  , I don’t know where they get the assessors but they need changing for someone who actually listens to what’s written and said  .
  • Horrified65
    Bronwyn This is awful. She did not examine my legs nor do I feel as a nurse she is qualified to make this type of decision. I have had my vehicle for about 12 years now and reading her report I am guessing I will lose mine too. I will fight this. I have spoken with my MP and she also going to supprt me. 
    How long have you been waiting for your Mandatory Reconsideration?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
     I was able to walk 10m on the carpet she is assuming I can walk 20-50 metres aided 

Isn't this just one opinion V another?
    The assessor doesn't have to prove their report is correct - all they are saying is that you were seen to manage to walk 10 metres and the opinion is that you can walk at least 21 metres.

What you have to do is prove that you cannot walk beyond 20 metres using the reliability criteria.

As a warning, my walking ability was tested at the spinal unit in hospital to establish if I could be independent in my own home. I fell off the walking machine at just over 10 metres. The consultant in his report to my GP & Social Services was that I could only physically walk no more than 15/20 metres before losing control of my legs.
    The assessor's opinion was that I could walk more than 200 metres for which the DWP accepted as being correct!

In my case I gave up claiming PIP as there was no way that I could produce anymore clear evidence than I had already.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You will find lots of people on here are being disappointed by inaccurate pip assessment reports. I'm afraid that it seems that some people have to be prepared to go through the horrible process all way to tribunal. Don't worry about the report just get help and use it to fight your case with. 
  • bronwyn
    bronwyn Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Horrified65 , I sent my reconsideration request in and it was received on 26/8/18 but I phone them on 10/9/18 as I had not been advised that it was received to be told that it hadn’t been registered until I phoned them because they didn’t know wether I want it to be done , as if I’d send a request for a mandatory reconsideration form in if I dint want it doing , I’ll let you know how I get on with it and then if I go to appeal at tribunal 
  • Horrified65
    Thanks I understand this but how do I do this without saying I did not say this - this is what I said?
  • Horrified65
    She has said I go food shopping making it sound like I do this weekly when what I actually said was I shop online mostly or my husband goes and IF I have to go I would only be going for bread or something light and would use my walker as I can sit on it to rest or will get a scooter if available
  • Horrified65
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    In my appeal submission I pointed where the assessor had made inaccurate statements in her report, and why those were inaccurate.  I did not make personal comments about the assessor.  I won my appeal.
  • Horrified65
    Thank you this is all so helpful, its so stressful
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Horrified65, I am glad you have found the community advice helpful! Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help you with :)
    Scope

• Horrified65
    I will and if anyone has anything
    further to add/assist it will be appreciated.
  • Horrified65
    @annegardner - this is exactly what happened to me - I was not able to answer questions fully and she was going onto the next question. She hardly looked at me once, looking at her keyboard most of the time. My report is only a tiny part of what I said and was not able to say anymore than she wanted me to! She has deduced just by looking at me and seeing me come into the assessment centre that I have normal power and movement to both legs, which I have not had for years.
    It is terrible that these people are getting away with treating people like this. The whole system is wrong and I have been in contact with my MP. The Government need to change this and soon!
  • Horrified65
    I have had many assessments over the years - this one was like nothing I have ever exeperienced before!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    This is the reason why it's important when filling out the forms that you put down as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. This way during the assessment it's less information you have to give them. There's not always enough of time to tell them everything you need to and it can often be very rushed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.