Pip Assessment report being inaccurate - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment report being inaccurate

Comments

• Horrified65
    Horrified65 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    I did put down everything that I needed to on the form - she wasnt interested
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    This is the reason why it's important when filling out the forms that you put down as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. This way during the assessment it's less information you have to give them. There's not always enough of time to tell them everything you need to and it can often be very rushed.
    You think so?
    If that is the case why ask questions when the answers are already described on the PIP2 and evidence is enclosed supporting those answers?
    Some assessments are carried out where either the PIP2 has been lost or not even received at all.
    Are you suggesting that those claimants that are treated as vulnerable by the DWP who do not need to return the PIP2 get a longer and more detailed assessment?
    We hear of cases where the computer system has gone down and the assessor cannot access the PIP2 and has to write the answers on a piece of paper hoping to fill out the computer driven assessment either later in the day or maybe the following day.
  • Tara2015
    Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi iv just joined Aswell and I got my decision today I got standard daily living that was it no mobility I have rheumatoid arthritis and like you I can't get in and out of the bath and I live alone so on the occasions my boyfriend is there he use to try and lift me out but it was to painful like you I can't bend my knees and my right hip is gubbed plus both feet and ankles I got 2 points for bathing and it's stated I can bath with an aid even tho I told her I can't bath at all I just use a cloth as I don't have a shower and dressing I got 2 points even tho I stated I can't dress my top half and have to sleep with my upper clothes on,I knew the horror stories so in one way I'm glad iv been awarded something thaught I would have to fight on the other I'm one point short for the enchanced rate and I feel I should have got more points for these two, anyway I'm not much help but try not to stress untill you get your decision as you might get fingers crossed for you x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tara2015

Are you going to appeal?
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    Really sorry you're going through this, I had my reassessment form in May and my face to face in June, I have just received a letter saying my Pip was stopped last month. I do not even recognise the person that the report was written about. It certainly was not me! They seem to have written the exact opposite of what I told them and demonstrated with their stupid tests, it contradicts itself and is full of absolute lies. I really sympathise with your situation sorry. X
  • Horrified65
    @Tara2015
    i really think you should do the Mandatory Reconsideration
  • Yadnad
    Wholly agree with @poppy123456. Get the form right and it doesn’t really matter what happens at the HCP assessment. Lots of people claim to have got the form right. They rarely have.
    Right, so the PIP2 is the key? That I can understand fully as that was the reason for my issues with the PIP problems. I will admit that they were complete but will have to admit that they were not complete in the correct way - too much emphasis on the issues and not the impact. In my mind I was completing the form to match the evidence and not the other way round.
    As with most things, it is only when you have lost what you could have had that you realise where you went wrong along the way and then can't do anything about it.

But once again issue arises of getting help and advice when completing the form. Something that does not exist for me and I would imagine quite a lot of others as well..It would be interesting to see the comparisons across the country - region by region where the PIP claim was  substandard and where it was not, who received the correct award first time round and whether professional help was given.  

What I would have given for an offer of help 5 years ago or even 5 months ago to let someone else fight the fight for me.
  • Tara2015
    Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Matilda and horrified yes I think so going to go to my cab as I posted on here and a few had said to not as I could loose the award I got so basically count my blessings but I'm not lying I know the pain I'm in and can except the rest I only got two points on but bathing and dressing is my worst problem so to be told to use an aid after writing it in my form my rhumatoid nurse stating it in my medical I supplied its like she just skipped over that bit and it's not fair I only got 4 points for mobility and she stated I walked fine at the f2f even tho I wear a big boot use a stick and have a permanent limp but at the same time I still can walk all be it in pain so cam let that go but not those two it's definitely what I should have scored more on 
  • Matilda
    @Tara2015

It's worth appealing if you think your present award is safe from reduction.  I got standard both elements after an inaccurate report increased ay tribunal to enhanced both elements.

Many assessors are incompetent and/or dishonest which is why 71% of appeals succeed.

My assessor said that because I walked 16m in assessment centre then I must be able to walk 20-50m outdoors which is a ridiculous inference.  Tribunal evidently agreed it was a ridiculous claim to make.  

0-20m aided = 12 points
    20-50m aided = 10 points
    20-50m unaided = 8 points

before you have to stop to rest.

This is outdoors using pavements and kerbs.

To get points for daily living activities usually you have to use aids.  But if you have difficulty completing the activities even using aids then usually you should get even more points.  If you can't complete the activities reliably - that is safely, repeatedly and in a reasonable time - then that counts as not being able to complete the activities at all.  Or it should do - most assessors ignore the reliability criteria.

To get points for how your disabilities affect you 50% of the time, i.e. at least 4 days out of 7.

Disability Rights site has a good guide to PIP appeals.  Take a look at the list of descriptors. Your disabilities have to fit relevant descriptors.

• Horrified65
    @Matilda - good info thanks, I find it bizarre that they can do this and say someone has normal movement and power without any examination, its all ludicrous. So much that I said has been missed off. When I said I need my husband to help me in and out of the shower as I cannot lift my left leg or put weight on my right and habe had falls. she says can use grab rails to get in and out and no falls reported. No falls reported as my husband gets me in and out to stop the falls.

Its all very stressful
  • Horrified65
    @Tara2015 exact thing happened to me with my bathing etc.... I also have nurse coming in for self catheterisation but she has not given me the points on this saying only that I need aids! She questioned why the catheters are not on my prescription! I do not know why as they get delivered direct every month.
  • sarah50
    My report says that they have changed some of the descriptors used to make the assesment, did they do this at the form stage, the assessment stage or the decision stage? Is this moving the goalposts halfway through. Also if so many people are getting the forms wrong is that the fault of the claiment or the form?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure what you mean by "they've changed some of the descriptors used" the only descriptor that has changed is the following and planning a journey part, where they removed for reasons other than psychological distress. Otherwise the descriptors are the same.

It's not the form itself that's at fault, it's the claimants that don't fill out the forms correctly. Lots of people fail to put enough of information about how their conditions affect them. Using examples of situations that have happened to you often helps. For example, if you can't go out alone, what will happen to you if you were to go out alone. Are you able to cross a road safely, what would happen if you were alone and there was a busy road. If you got lost would you be able to use the phone to ring someone for help.  I used 2 examples for my daughters claim for the descriptor following and planning a journey because they were real life examples of what actually did happen to her.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sarah50
    My denial letter says "I looked at the HCP report and changed some of the descriptors previously chosen based on medical evidence received"
  • poppy123456
    Do you mean the decision letter and not denial letter? Have you got a copy of the assessment report? If you don't then ring PIP on Monday morning and ask them to send you a copy out. They mostly go with the report and it's rare to go against it but it can and does happen. Without that assessment report it's impossible to know.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Usually not the fault of the claimant or the form - the fault of the assessor in choosing the wrong descriptors.
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    My denial letter says "I looked at the HCP report and changed some of the descriptors previously chosen based on medical evidence received"
    The assessor may well have been a little over generous in advising the DWP of the descriptors (points) you would qualify under.
    The DWP may well have reduced them based on the other evidence submitted.
    Also it may well be the other way round and the DWP awarded more points but still not enough to get the expected award.
  • Yadnad
    Matilda said:
    Usually not the fault of the claimant or the form - the fault of the assessor in choosing the wrong descriptors.
    At the end of the day that is entirely down to the lack of supporting evidence and possibly the poor standard of completing the PIP2 form.

If you don't make the case for points then the assessor can only suggest that you are not entitled to them The assessor is not there to 'help' the claimant make the case.
  • sarah50
    What supporting evidence do I need, I no longer take prescription drugs there is no treatment therefore I don't have any contact with anyone professionally, my husband is my carer and we manage my condition as best we can.
  • poppy123456
    sarah50 said:
    What supporting evidence do I need, I no longer take prescription drugs there is no treatment therefore I don't have any contact with anyone professionally, my husband is my carer and we manage my condition as best we can.
    A diary written by yourself, a letter from your husband. Have the descriptors there when writing the letter so he can point out which ones apply and the reasons why.

Have you been refused? Are you requesting the MR or Tribunal? Sorry but it's not clear as you've been posting on other peoples threads and it becomes very confusing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.