Carer allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer allowance

Anthony1987
Anthony1987 Community member Posts: 93 Listener
Hi when u switch over to universal credit  does ur 
  • Carer's Allowance go down? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No, the carers allowance is deducted from the UC in the same way it was deducted from what other benefit you were previously receiving. A carers element of £156.45 per month is then added to your UC. Carers Allowance then pay you separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony1987
    So it's not gonna get paid weekly just all in to one monthly payments? 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2018
    Have you moved across to UC? If so what was your reasons for moving across? What benefits, if any were you previously receiving? apart from carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Anthony1987
    Was getting income support  as there wesr only give me £70 every  two weeks  so i thought i switch over  to them since will get more on uc was on dla as well till it got stopped 
  • poppy123456
    Looking back at your previous posts the amount you were claiming on Income support was correct. You will most likely not get anymore on UC than you were getting on Income support.

If you still claim carers allowance then this will be deducted from your UC and a carers element will be added. Carers allowance then still pay you separately. UC is paid as one monthly payment and has housing benefit included in with it, if you claim help with your rent.

Have you already started a claim for UC? If so then there's a 6 week wait for your first payment. Changing to UC may not have been the best decision you'll ever make, i'm afraid.

Did you DLA stop because you were asked to apply for PIP and it was refused?
  • poppy123456
    Have you also taken your tenancy agreement to your local job centre? without this you won't be paid the housing element of UC and this will mean you won't be able to pay your rent.
  • Anthony1987
     The woman said i will be getting  £419  on  uc   and yeah I'm  doing the point's  why i should  of got it soon as the woman lied in the assessment  I've got back up from talking changes and there have referred me to another  place to get more help  as it has my xnxiety worse with what  the woman said   
  • poppy123456
    You need to make sure that the £419 includes your rent payment. You can check your UC online account to see what it says.

The only thing is with UC is the disability premiums aren't paid with this like they were when you were claiming Income support. If your PIP appeal is successful then you won't be able to claim any disability premiums.
  • Anthony1987
    So much has chnaged  sounds like it's gonna get harder  yeah I've  told uc about the rent as there said i ddint submit the rent part poper   the coach said on my account she will look into it I've asked the landlord for a new tenancy agreement as the old has gone there is other thing's the place I'm going to on Tuesday  wear there help alot with support as i should of been getting support when i was on Dla  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.