Financial Help in Getting A Step in Shower Cubical For Disabled people. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Financial Help in Getting A Step in Shower Cubical For Disabled people.

Support_worker
Support_worker Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am trying to get some information on how I can get Some Financial help in getting a Step in Shower Cubical For my Friend Barbara who Suffers with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis I have been in touch with the Occupational Therapy but they have said that they will not help her What do I do in order to get her help in Funding the Cost of the Work required to remove the Old Bath & Pay for A Shower Cubical and Get it Installed. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The first thing she needs to do is to self refer herself for a needs assessment. She can do this by contacting her local council social services department and they will come and do the assessment. It doesn't mean she'll get the shower but adaptions can certainly be done to make her life easier.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    There is some information here about Disabled Facilities Grants.

Why won't the OT help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have any thoughts @Jean_Scope ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Support_worker

OK so, if the OT have already said that they can't assist that implies that an assessment of her needs has already taken place or she didn't meet the criteria for an assessment.

If people are refused financial assistance (Disabled Facilities Grant) via the community OT it normally means that that either the OT doesn't think that the work is necessary or the person has too much income/capital to pass the means test.

If you think the OT has made an incorrect decision you can challenge that via the complaints procedure. Other than that the alternative to funding the work privately is applying for charitable funding: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants  Unfortunately most charities will require evidence for an OT that the work is necessary and also apply a similar means-testing process.

Sorry that I don't have anything more helpful to suggest

Best Wishes
    Jean 

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness