Son is struggling academically and emotionallu — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son is struggling academically and emotionallu

Options
Gemw1
Gemw1 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
edited October 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
My 5 year old is very set in his ways he is struggling at school.both academic and emotionally. He hasn't got any diagnosis as I'm unsure he has delayed speech and isn't hitting his goals currently gets 1 on 1. He shouts alot I'm just worried there's more to it have done an autism test on here and every time it comes back a high chance what can I do

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gemw1
    I hope @Jack_W or our parenting advisor @KellyParentAdvisor can help :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jack_W
    Jack_W Scope Member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @Gemw1

Have you been able to reach out to the school's SEN department? Presuming there isn't a diagnosis, I imagine he is at a mainstream school now. They might be able to offer support by signposting to services in your local area which could start the process of a possible autism diagnosis. 

I would also say make an appointment with your GP or a health visitor, as they have the power to make a referral and send you to a professional who is able to oversee an assessment if your son is autistic. 

It's worth seeking some support, before and if a diagnosis is given after, to find out what steps can be taken to ensure the right help can be offered, such as speech therapy.

Take care. Also take a look at the National Autistic Society website for further information https://www.autism.org.uk.
  • Gemw1
    Gemw1 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Yes he is in main stream school he's in year 1 he's a summer boy so started last year at 4 years. They have done very little the sen. They have a educational psychologist I'm thinking of asking them to assess him

Brightness