Discrimination at univeristy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination at univeristy

dyslexicpsychologist
dyslexicpsychologist Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello... I am training to be a clinical psychologist and I am dyslexic. I really struggle with some of the written aspects of the academic part of my training. Not the content just how I write it. I have requested adjustments for 3 years now and each one is a battle - my win rate is about 1 in 10.  I have complained and the university have agreed in theory that everything I have said is true and the actions were 'severe' misconduct - BUT they cant tell if its discrimination so they cannot do anything. Does anyone know anything about legal cases in relation to universities? I don't know where to turn 
Thanks 

Comments

• Chio
    Chio Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi 
    Well done you for deciding to further your education. Although I dont know any legal cases regarding Universities i just want to urge you keep pushing dont let them make you feel like you dont belong or you are inadequate. 
    I can relate to what you are going through. I have  a physical disability and trained to be an Operating Department Practitioner working in operating  theatres.
     I was discouraged every step of the way, failed by mentors and had to fight for resits. Told I could not physically do the job although I was a mature student and knew what i was capable of. And even advised by mentors not to waste my time as even if I made it through the course noone will employ me. Roll up 6yrs  years later and I am doing the job I trained for.
    I like you had to fought them every way  mentally and physically having to prove unlike other students I was capable over and over again. I was so  drained when  finished my degree. But fight on. Find out if the University has any Support for people special needs and get them to help you fight. Its draining yes, but so worth it in the end when you prove them all wrong after completing your course. Good luck! Rooting for you. You can do this. 

Brightness