Employment problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment problems

KatBeerling
KatBeerling Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Up until recently my employer has always been understanding of my disabilities, which has allowed me to work part time and giving me the sense of independence I crave.  However They are now making life very difficult for me which has left me confused, depressed and not sure what to do next!

Whist I was recovering from spinal surgery, my old boss had to leave.  I have a new boss now who is only in her mid twenties.  Since she has taken over and since I have returned to work, I have been placed on a zero sickness management program.  I have been told that If I have any further time off, then they will start dismissal proceedings against me!

Now I have worked with this particular employer for nearly 25 years, and I realise that I have had probably more sickness than my more able bodied colleagues, but every bout of sickness has been down to my disabilities.  I am also having more falls these days as my legs give out on me which means I end up having to go into work on really strong painkillers and against my doctors orders as I am terrified of losing my job.

But sadly, and it had to happen eventually, I had a fall that landed me at the hospital a couple of weeks ago.  The Doctor signed me off for two weeks to allow me to recover from the fall and because of the strength of the painkillers! I had jarred my spine badly and the subsequent pain was excruciating!

I now have to return to work this week knowing that the new manager will be gunning for me!  I am so depressed about it I really don't know what to do!
I have contacted my union, but they say they can't do anything until AFTER I'm dismissed!!! I just want to be able to do my job without any of this hanging over me!

Any advice please would be gratefully appreciated, as I have literally no idea what to do!

Thanks  Kat xx

Comments

• Tara2015
    Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Can't say much to help you but just thaught I'd say sorry your going through this and hopefully this will bump up so someone with more knowledge can answer, I know I had a look at the disability act and it takes a lot to be classed as disabled my work do a programme to help people with alcohol drug and gambling addiction thst means they can't be paid off but don't have anything in place for disabled people but there is only two of us in work who are and its not visible disabilitys, I think you would just have to go through the motions and then fight them if they did dismiss you, have you told your doctor this they can give you a limited ability sick line explaining what you have and what it causes etc hope you manage to get some help
  • KatBeerling
    Thank you so much for your thoughts. It helps to know that there are people out there that give a ****! Having read again what I wrote I realise that there is not much I can do but wait! Thank you for taking the time to connect! Kat xxx
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I am terribly sorry for what you're going through :( It might be worth talking to Scopes' employment advisor to see what advice they can give you. I'm not sure how else to advise unfortunately.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • KatBeerling
    Thanks Ami2301! I appreciate the advice. May well do that! 
    Thanks again Kat xx
  • Chris1234x
    Chris1234x Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    It seems that things have become worse for you since the old boss left,
    So I am guessing the new program on sick leave is the idea of the new manager, you have been working there twenty five years so this must hold some weight? Maybe you have a more senior line manager you can go to,
    Some one who knows you better and  maybe they adapt their policy in your case.i guess these policies are bought in to stop people skiving with 'Colds'
    Unfortunately they then class people with real problems in the same way.
  • KatBeerling
    Chris1234x, apparently the policy applies equally to everyone! There is and I quote! Nothing they can do, the policy can't be changed! 
    Yes been just since the new manager has taken over that this has happened. My old boss was more understanding. 
    I think part of the prob is I'm part of the old team, and not required anymore, but because I am disabled they are being careful how they get rid of me!

Kat x
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @KatBeerling and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear what you are going through and very disapointed in the response from your union. Most union memberships these days give access to legal advice and the first thing I would suggest is you contact the union and ask if this is available. 

I would also hope that the advice given, that they cannot do anything until you are sacked is wrong, for example they would have a process to follow which would include interviews and formal meetings where you should have the right to take someone in with you, which can include a union rep. I would definately ask why they are taking your money if they have no intention of representing you.

Does the company have an HR department? If so it could be worth contacting them and asking for a meeting to discuss your situation and what accomodation can be made. It takes a very brave manager to ignore instructions from HR as part of their role is to ensure that company complies with their legal obligations.

Alternatively you can contact ACAS. The Acas helpline number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm.

Part of the problem with policies that 'apply equally to all' is if you are not careful it becomes discriminatory against certain groups.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• KatBeerling
    Hi Geoark, thanks for taking the time to give your advice to me.  Unfortunately HR are well aware of what's going on. So no help there! Every meeting I've had, I've had to go alone as they could not provide a rep to help me! So I am basically on my own. 
    But it helps with kind people like you listening to me whine!! Lol.

Kat x

Brightness