Advice on benefits for our adult son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on benefits for our adult son

Carole72
Carole72 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I`m already registered with you but can`t remember details to sign in so I`ve used Facebook!       I understand you are talking about the disabled and problems with employment! I live with my adult son who has high-functioning autism! He hasn`t had employment for many years! HE, I feel is discriminated against by employers and the DWP alike. He only gets JSA and 73.10 per week , no disability benefits although a few years ago he was in receipt of DLA for his autism! It was stopped when PIP came in and we had to apply for this one. I have to fill all his forms in and explain letters that arrive for him because he lacks understanding of many things which I know is part of his autism! I can`t seem to get ESA permanently! He`s had knee problems for the past couple of years (a torn meniscus in his left knee) which he had an operation early May this year!
He has to have investigations soon for the right knee as this is now causing problems!
He was once a gardener for the local council when we lived in London but now cannot do this type of work because it`s too physical! He is nearly 51 and I don`t know where to go from here. He was turned down for PIP, has to have a health assessment test next week and he needs to stay on ESA to cope! Any advice out there?

Comments

• Poppie7
    Poppie7 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello Carole sorry I don’t have any advice to help you but just wanted to give u a warm welcome u will get some advice from members on here Carole & gd luck 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carole72 welcome back!

Sorry to hear you had issues with signing in, please email community@scope.org.uk so the team can help you with your previous account.

Sorry again for what you are going through with your son, when applying for PIP did you state on the forms, when asking how his disability affects daily activities and his knee for mobility, did you give detailed examples of why he is unable to do these? PIP and other benefits are a complete minefield and it does take time to understand them. We will help you get the right support for your son! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say he's claiming JSA but has to have a health assessment for the ESA? Do you mean he's claiming ESA and not JSA? If he's claiming ESA is he in a group or on assessment rate?

For the PIP claim did he ask for the Mandatory Reconsideration? Then Tribunal if that failed? if not, when was the decision made on this claim?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.