Benefits help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits help?

ruthie912
ruthie912 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm 37 and I was first diagnosed with double scoliosis at 11 years old . As time as gone on I have been diagnosed with degenartive spondylitis and modarat facet joint arthritis with segmentation of the disco vertebrates and compressed of the s1 nerve.  This is only what's going on with the lumber and still waiting for mri on my neck and thoracic.  I'm in pain 24/7 . And when I take my medication I'm like one of them people on that zombie spice drug which is not good because of my children so I have to pick my times of taking it . Tramadol.  Amotriptalin and zaplian along with prochlorperazine for dizziness.  Just trying to function daily with taking my meds is a full on Misson it's self . I also have incontinence with bladder.  I was kicked off esa because I looked well kept at my assessment I was told to reapply by my jsa advicer because she could see that I was not well and unable to cope.  So I did and got a phone call saying that in there findings my condition has not got worse.  How did she know over the phone I wasn't told to send in more evidence they had my doctors letter and mri and xray results dating back 20 years to last year and I was also told by this telephone assesser that I wouldn't score any points so there is no point in my going for a new assessment.  Since then I've had a number of episodes where I have been to hospital because of falls and because of losing feeling in my legs and right arm . I have been told to apply for esa again but I'm just not sure . They make you feel like a lier and make you feel worthless.  I'm also under physio and the pain clinic at the hospital.  I was told straight away that a surgeon would not touch me . So I really don't know what to do or who to talk to.  I feel like just giving up on life it's self ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthie912
    Im so sorry you are having such a tough time. You can call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 to speak to one of our helpline staff who may be able to offer you some support.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Was there any reasons why you didn't ask for the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) when you were originally found fit for work, when was this decision made?

You can't re-apply for ESA unless it's for either a new condition that wasn't previously mentioned or a worsening of an existing condition. On the fit/sick note that you send them it must state something completely different to your previous claim. It's then up to a decision maker to decide if you're claim is accepted.

May i ask if you live with a partner that works? Or do you live alone?

You also need to check what's in your area, if it's a full universal credit area then you won't be able to claim ESA, if it's Income Related that you're trying to claim. Pop your postcode into this link and it will tell you what's in your area.

What benefits have you been claiming since you were found fit for work?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.