Animals (pets) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Animals (pets)

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I have four cats that are my family. When I am at my lowest, they hold me from exiting altogether. I promised each one I would take care of it. I am all alone in this world - they are I have no one else to look after us.

They are completely dependent on me: I cannot leave them in cages in a shelter. I have, though, made preparations for them in case something should happen to me.

When I am in a flare and in much pain, or just oh so discourages, they all come and surround me my bed, one allopreening my head. They have literally saved my life several times.

I wonder if anyone has had this kind of experience with pets?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Pets are amazing!

My Guinea pigs, Loki & Thor helped me battle with anxiety, they are my babies! ?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Oh yes my cats have saved my life many times.
    People are the biggest problems. Always try pushing or draging me when they know it ends up with me on the floor.
    My cats are so  forgiving when i tell them i cant movr right now. And they dont push.. they cuddel and love and keep me warm 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Forgiving, oh yes. I can get irritated when I need to rest and they start acting up.
    Sometimes I will tell them just to stop it. THhn I reflect that they are just being cats doing what cats do.

Unlike humans, they are simple and honest and so forgiving.
  • tamidavis
    tamidavis Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Dogs definitely help pull me out during my lows. They love us no matter how we feel about ourselves. Glad to hear cats give you a similar experience
  • JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Pets do a lot for your mental health. It has been proven to improve your mind and help against loneliness

Brightness