SociableSeanTB - Good afternoon everyone! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SociableSeanTB - Good afternoon everyone!

Options
SociableSeanTB
SociableSeanTB Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Good afternoon Scope community :)

My name is Sean and I have just emerged from the cocoon of hidden illness and fear over my disability and mental health. This online community seems as good a place as any to get to know more about help and support in living with disabilities (and the potential to get to know people, make friends and have a good old natter is a bonus).

After over ten years of tests, assessments and numerous conflicting diagnoses, I have been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder and Dissociative Seizures, as well as PTSD. Aside from writing a fledgling blog on my experiences so far, I enjoy speaking and learning languages, watching sports and meeting new people. I live in Reading with my wife; we have been here for just under a year (although I am originally from Milton Keynes).

I look forward to chatting to you all in he weeks and months to come.

Sean

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @SociableSeanTB,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board. It sounds like you have some fantastic hobbies! What languages do you speak and enjoy learning? :)

There's plenty of groups and discussions here on the community for you to get involved with. Do get in stuck in and let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way!
    Liam
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SociableSwanTB welcome to the community!

How are you today? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • SociableSeanTB
    Options
    @LiamO_Dell my Spanish is pretty much at the same level as my English (I've been lucky enough to study the language at Uni and work in Spain), my French is very rusty and I know bits from other languages, mainly picked up on business or holidays. My next 'project' should be German as my in-laws come from near Cologne, but I haven't started yet! 
  • SociableSeanTB
    Options
    @Ami2301I'm not too bad thanks, waiting for treatment updates and for the wheels of my PIP application to start rolling, so I thought it was the perfect time to do something to occupy myself whilst I wait. And you? Seems like you have posted quite a few times on here: any tips or suggestions?  :p
  • Liam_Alumni
    Options
    Oh wow, @SociableSeanTB - that's very impressive! I think I've still grasped on to a bit of French from my school days, but it's been a while! I'm now learning British Sign Language through friends and practicing as much as I can. :)
    Liam
  • SociableSeanTB
    Options
    BSL fascinates me (a school friend has been learning it and so I've been following her progress). I'd be fascinated to know how the techniques from oral languages translate over to sign language. Maybe that's another one to add to the 'to do' list  :)
  • SociableSeanTB
    Options
    @LiamO_Dell I think languages have always interested be because I enjoy meeting new people, but also as it allows me to do something or focus on something if I have a period of multiple seizures (takes away the monotony of being at home during the days)  
  • Liam_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @SociableSeanTB. BSL has its own grammar structure and it really is such a fascinating language. I don't know much about the grammar side of it, admittedly (I'm just working on building up my vocabulary at the moment, and often rely on Sign Supported English) but there's definitely a grammatical difference between sign language and spoken languages. It's so interesting!
    Liam
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I am not an expert on anything but if a member has been in a similar position as myself then I can share my experience and methods of coping with the situation. We are all here to help each other :)
    I’m learning BSL too (I’m partially deaf) if you look on Pinterest they have lots of BSL demonstration pictures which I have found really helpful! :)
  • SociableSeanTB
    Options
    @Ami2301thats why I joined - to compare notes and give and receive support where needed! 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Let us know if you have any questions! :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you doing @SociableSeanTB :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SociableSeanTB

It’s great to meet you today!!!

Please please let me know if you need any help/support?????

Brightness