Disability Power 100 list 2018 - congratulations to some familiar Scope names! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Power 100 list 2018 - congratulations to some familiar Scope names!

Liam_Alumni
Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering

Alex Brooker, journalist, comedian and presenter of Channel 4’s award winning show “The Last Leg” was announced as number one on the Shaw Trust Disability 100 Power list 2018. The annual publication lists the 100 most influential disabled people in the UK.

Poster which reads Shaw Trust Power 100 - Britains most influential disabled people - disabilitypower100

The top 10 also includes:

• Jonnie Peacock, Paralympian legend
  • Baroness Jane Campbell, Peer
  • @martynsibley, Travel Writer, Podcaster, Entrepreneur and Activist
  • Adam Hills, Comedian and presenter
  • Warwick Davis, Actor
  • Ruth Owen OBE, CEO of Whizz-Kidz
  • Gary Bourlet, Campaigner
  • Neil Miliken, Head of Accessibility and Digital Inclusion, Atos
  • Nancy Doyle, CEO Genius Within CIC

But also in the list this year are a few familiar Scope names, our @Sam_Scope has made the list along with @Chloe_Scope and James Taylor, Scope's Head of Policy, Campaigns and Public Affairs. We couldn't be prouder of them!

Young lady with glasses sitting on a bench in a park smiling at the camera

On being named the most influential disabled person in the UK, Alex Brooker said:

“I just wanted to beat Hills. That’s all I cared about was beating Hills. Even if it was ranked to 100 and I was 99 but he was 100 I’d’ve been happy. To get all these disabled people together, and acknowledge them, in one publication. It’s fantastic. There are disabled people who are doing amazing things in all manner of industries who you otherwise may not hear about. Obviously the likes of myself and Hillsy and the Paralympians, to an extent: our work is widely known because it’s on television, it gets newspaper coverage, but there’s a great number of disabled people who I’d argue have probably been more influential than myself but who are working in different industries.” 

Nick Bell, Interim Chief Executive of Shaw Trust - a charity helping to transform the lives of young people and adults across the UK and internationally, said:

“Congratulations to all those on the Power list. The judges were beyond impressed by the standard of nominations but selected the most influential people who are proving that disability or impairment is not a barrier to success. One of our aims for the Disability Power 100 list is to demonstrate to young people that they can achieve their ambitions. At Shaw Trust we work with government, local authorities and employers to support people overcome barriers which hold them back from achieving their potential.”

The full Shaw Trust Disability Power 100 List can be found on www.disabilitypower100.com.

Liam

Comments

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.