Special needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Special needs

bishop43
bishop43 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in Education
After fighting for years to get our daughter help in school now after 5 year she been diagnosed with dyslexia and other things wrong with her now and having more test I feel such a bad mom feel like we let her down some much now there saying she won't be able to cope in a senior school I don' now what to do some advice please I'm sorry worried

Comments

• melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Please do not feel bad @bishop43. I work in a university and we have many students who were not diagnosed, even after 11 years of compulsory education. Getting an early diagnosis is half the battle. I would look at the British Dyslexia Association website for tips and hints around dyslexia and education. Many dyslexic adults are very successful as they have strengths that us non-dyslexic possess.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bishop43
    Welcome to the community, as a mum I do understand the guilt we feel but as you say you fought your child's corner for a long time.
    Does your daughter have an EHCP?
    @KellyParentAdvisor do you have any thoughts that could help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi @bishop43, welcome. I completely understand how you're feeling - I think most of us with a child with any kind of additional need go through a period of feeling guilty and wondering what we did wrong! The thing is, you've done nothing wrong. You haven't let her down - you're here and asking for advice, which means you're doing your very best. 

With regards to the future, school, etc... Take a breath. If she's having further assessments for other things, it may be a while until you know where you're at with it all. Have you talked with her school now? Are they putting anything in place to support her dyslexia diagnosis? If you really think that she's going to need a lot of support going forward and you don't already have one, it's worth looking into applying for an EHCP (Education, Health and Care plan) for her, as it can take a while.

Definitely have a look at the British Dyslexia website, as mentioned by @melaniethorley as they will have loads of information that will help and guide you. 
  • bishop43
    bishop43 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thankyou everyone for your kind reply just had forms today to fill in for ehcp test and need to wait for results

Brightness