The dreaded parking space topic — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The dreaded parking space topic

Swalk74
Swalk74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
anyone else struggle with parking? Im
at my wits end and no one either seems to be able to help (so they say).
 This last two weeks my pain walking has been through the roof, to the point of collapsing into tears when i walk through the door at home.

At my youngests school they have one disabled space and it seems to be the usual free for all. All around everywhere else is zigzagged so i have to park either at the end of a long road or in another street entirely. I can take my time with my crutches but by the time i actually get to the school gates my pain is screaming and then im left stuck indoors all day as im in too much pain to go anywhere. I have spoken to the school and they have said they cant do too much about it except to just put a reminder in the monthly newsletter.  

I see these people parked up and it makes me so angry because i feel that its because of them that im left in so much pain for the rest of the day. They are not the sort that you would confront either.  

Then later the same thing at the local leisure centre. people abusing the parking, and the disabled changing rooms. It all seems so unfair. Even waiting for my daughters swimming lessons causes my pain and loss of feeling as have to stand and wait as there are no chairs. I have asked if a couple chairs could be put out to help but they said they need the space in case an emergency arises.

Fair enough but surely they could put  even by the bin they have room for. There is lots of space, i just think they just throwing these answers back as a cant be bothered.

I feel awful that im going to appear moaning but i really dont understand why these eatablishments cant or wont help. It is really
getting me down even more now and
making me not want to go out at all, not even with my children. Is there anything or anyone that could help? Is it right that schools cant
so anything? I really need to get some
help asni cant carry on getting in so much pain just taking my children to school.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Swalk74 welcome to the community!

I am so sorry for what you have been going through, sounds awful! My heart goes out to you. Unfortunately I am unsure how to advise but I can reassure you that our community is full of knowledgeable members who will be more than happy to help you and will be in contact soon.

Try not to feel guilty, if something is having an affect on you like this on a daily basis then there needs to be a solution. You are just as equal as everyone else :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Swalk74
    Swalk74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I myself have an invisible disability so appreciate this maybe the case. There are no blue badges displayed for starters and a couple of people seem to park wherever including parking over peoples driveways. The carpark is not within the fencing off the school. There is another carpark to the side with a sign that says staff only. I have asked if I could use this when no spaces are available but they have said no. The carpark at the leisure centre is within their grounds but they are also saying they can’t enforce the disabled bays. If this is the case then fair enough but why have spaces? Think I’ll phone the council and just ask. Just don’t understand and wish people would be more thoughtful :(
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Please try your m.p. 
    And call the blue bagde people.
    Is it possible for you to get to the svhool an hour before everyone else?
    Then you will be parked before the rabble get there
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Swalk74
    I found this information and wondered if it might help you to speak to the school?

Schools, colleges and universities have a duty to parents with disabilities to let them have reasonable access to services related to the education of their child or children. This is to make sure parents with disabilities can be fully involved in their child's education.

The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) covers many areas of everyday life, including education and access to goods and services. Generally, the parts in the DDA to do with schools relate to pupils with disabilities.

However, many services provided by a school do not relate directly to your child's education, but are considered a 'service to the public' and are covered by the DDA.

Your child's school should make 'reasonable adjustments' to procedures and policies or provide you with aids to help you access their services, like putting information in accessible formats. They must not refuse to provide a service, or provide a lesser service, to you as a parent with disabilities.

Visiting schools and accessibility
    Examples of changes to policies and procedures, where suitable, that your child's school could make under the DDA include:
    • assigning a member of staff to be responsible for meeting your access needs when you want to be shown around the school - including if you are blind or visually impaired (for example, so you can familiarise yourself with the school's layout)
    • making sure the school is accessible if you are a wheelchair user by using ramps or making alterations to doorways
    • providing parking for people with disabilities and make sure other parents' vehicles do not block access
    This information came from the NIDirect.gov site.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness