Refused help to get an adapted car through Motability! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused help to get an adapted car through Motability!

Options
sandrasandalwood
sandrasandalwood Community member Posts: 7 Listener
i have been a powerchair / wheelchair user for over 10 years due to being young chronically sick and physically disabled, due to a progressive illness. 
My previous cats have been privately bought ex motability cars. I am currently driving an 08 Renault kangoo which has an electric ramp. Sadly, my disability has worsened due to a bad flare of my illness. 
I now need an adapted car and due to being unable to work and on benefits, I am unable to adapt it at my own cost. 
I phoned Motability to ask for financial help to get a drive from wheelchair or internal transfers car. 
I was shocked when after asking three questions, I was imeadiately declined help for an adapted car and this has upset me greatly and left me feeling less of a person and of any value due to their questions and reply. 
I was asked and responded-
Q1- are you working / in active employment. 
A1- No. I worked full time for 25 years, but now am unable due to worsening ill health and disability. 
Q2- do you attend further or higher education?
A2- No. I have university degrees in nursing, diplomas in social work management, but I lost my career and job due to worsening health and physical disability. 
Q3- do you do any voluntary work?
A3- sadly no. I need carers and the time I get daily doesn’t give me any support in volunteering. Chronic ill health and disabilities doesn’t allow me to work or seek voluntary work. 
I was then told that MOTABILITY WONT HELP ME TO GET AN ACCESSIBLE CAR! 
They said that due to their funding, they were only giving adapted vehicles to anyone who works in employment, voluntary or who are currently in higher or further education!
I live in a small rural village, that has sparce public transport and no locally accessible taxis, my car is a lifeline to and for me. I am a single woman with three children in my their early twenties, with two at university, and my other daughter is currently sick and disabled herself.
I need a car just to see them and to access everyday basic shops, services and health care appointments. By not even considering my disabilities and the fact that I cannot get out of my home without my powerchair as my friends and families car doesn’t take my powerchair; not having a car that I can access or drive totally dis empowers me and limits my life. 
M nearest family member is my mother who is elderly and is a round trip of 45miles away. There’s no way I can leave my village without a car that I can access and drive one that hasn’t been modified for me. 
I felt so belittled and worthless that I’m not even being considered eligible because of being unable to work, voluntary work or study!!
shouldnt it be about need and there to help wheelchair users?
it leaves me feeling less human and of no consequences to humanity. It further disables and disempowered me. 
Then I was angry to hear that the government have written to the director of this charity due to his salary and yearly benefits are so great that they earn more than the countries prime minister. Also, that the motability squirrels away more than £2.1 million in their accounts!!
just think how many adapted cars they could help wheelchair users to adapt and use!!
has anyone had any dealings with motability like the way the dealt with me? Or does anyone know of how I can take this forward to in order to change this awful system and be able to get an adapted vehicle that I could drive. 
If I had savings or moneys then obviously would have an adapted car. But, I don’t as I’m on disability benefits and these are not enough to get through the week; never mind purchasing and adapting a private car. I can’t get a loan to even purchase a vehicle that may fit my needs as second hand ex- motability cats are very expensive to purchase and maintain. 
Any hekp or advise will be appreciated as I’m left very much more disabled through motabilities choosing. And to think, it would be needs led and not their “who’s of value in the community “ led. 
??
Regards 
Sandra. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    HI,

I am totally confused by your post. You can only access the motability scheme if you have an award of Enhanced mobility PIP or high rate mobility DLA. Are you claiming any of these?

It doesn't matter if you're working or not, a college student or not, have qualifications, in fact you can be a millionaire and still have an adapted mobility vehicle if you have either of these awards. A lot of the adaptions you have to pay extra for ontop of your full mobility payments but some are free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe @sandrasandalwood is talking about getting a charitable grant from motobility to help with the additional cost of getting the type of vehicle she wants.

https://www.motability.org.uk/grants/are-you-eligible-for-a-charitable-grant/drive-from-wheelchair-vehicle

Sandra, you can always ask them to relook at your application to see if you would qualify under the 4th consideration and explain why you believe it applies to you. I would suggest doing this by email rather than phone, details can be found at https://www.motability.org.uk/grants/appealing-a-funding-decision/

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• sandrasandalwood
    sandrasandalwood Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    I need the charitable grant from motability to pay for the adaptations and electric ramp I  need to get into and drive the car. I have the highest rate of DLA. I can only get it adapted for me and my wheelchair with the motability grant as I don’t have money or savings to do this myself. And their rules as to who gets this is about your current work / studying. I don’t do either now even though I worked as a nurse ffull time for 25 years. Geo ark, thank you very much for this 4 th consideration. I will look into it. X

Brightness