ESA 3 form, recent CBESA migration error - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA 3 form, recent CBESA migration error

Comments

• TeddyB22
    TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    I was just talking to a friend who was getting Contribution ESA. She said she was moved onto Income related ESA. She used to get grants every year before they became loans. She said for each person on ESA or a qualifying benefit a supplementary amount is put away incase you ask for it in the form of a grant/loan. She got thousands! I on the other hand got nothing as they had me mistakenly on Con ESA.
    I think they should be made to pay that back too. It seems it only takes someone to win a case against the government and then they have to apply it to everyone else. I'd be happy to be that person. They need to back date all of the money and not enforce a cut off period. It's the government's failure and they have to correct it because if the shoe were on the other foot you'd be forced to pay it back or face jail.
    Sorry for ranting.
  • Katkins
    Katkins Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    TeddyB22 said:
    I was just talking to a friend who was getting Contribution ESA. She said she was moved onto Income related ESA. She used to get grants every year before they became loans. She said for each person on ESA or a qualifying benefit a supplementary amount is put away incase you ask for it in the form of a grant/loan. She got thousands! I on the other hand got nothing as they had me mistakenly on Con ESA.
    I think they should be made to pay that back too. It seems it only takes someone to win a case against the government and then they have to apply it to everyone else. I'd be happy to be that person. They need to back date all of the money and not enforce a cut off period. It's the government's failure and they have to correct it because if the shoe were on the other foot you'd be forced to pay it back or face jail.
    Sorry for ranting.

• pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Katkins said:
    Sorry to jump on this post but I've just recieved an ESA3 form. 
    It says from February 2012 to now.
    Called the number and the guy said it appears they have sent the form as I'm owed money. 
    I have trawled the internet and cannot find anywhere a rough idea of what I could  get.
    The man I spoke to said I should be getting 4 years back pay.
    Does anyone have a rough idea what I may get?
    Is there a minimum/maximum weekly amount I can guess from?
    I've never been owed anything. I'm reading that the average pay out is £5000.
    I don't want to get my hopes up but it's hard not to! 

If it helps, I'm single, only ever claimed by myself, for myself. I have moved once and had a baby the July 2013 so obviously get CB and CTC but no maintenance from the father. 
    I'd be so grateful for someone to shed some light on this. 
    The internet has totally confused me! Lol! 

Many thanks in advance x
    hi everyone, i received my letter and esa3 the same time as katkins. has anyone who had the form in the last couple of months been paid yet or spoken to the dwp? i rang on thursday and was told i should be entitled to edp dating back to 2011, but it could take 2/3 months to pay out as they are only now doing july batch. . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP are correct, it can take 12 weeks or more to receive a decision. It will depend on the backlog in your area and there's 1000's of claimants that have been underpaid so it will take some time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Befuddled74
    Befuddled74 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone. I have joined today to see if I can get any help on this issue.
    I recieved my ESA (IBR) back in June 18, duly filled it in, I recieved another letter from them in September asking me if I had a partner.

My Benefits get paid into my carers account who I share a house with, however we are not and have never been partners, my disability means I have had issues with handling money so I can see why they asked this.
    Again I duly filled it in.

I have been on Contributions based since 2011, I am in the support group and I get PIP. I am single.

I assume I am caught up in this underpayment fiasco too?   

This morning I have just recieved a letter which says my ESA is increasing and the breakdown now includes the disability premiums however the dates on the letter are from 2nd Nov 2018 until 28th November 2018 - this seems weird, why now and why just for the coming month considering nothing has changed since  I was migrated onto ESA in 2011...very confused. I was on £110.75 a week and now they say for this month alone I will be on £127.15 . Nothing has changed?
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    thanks poppy ! befuddled74, i hope someone will be able to help you. i think you should ring dwp on monday about back payment etc. sometimes the letters they send can be very confusing. please let me know how you get on.
    good luck !
  • poppy123456
    I agree with ringing DWP Monday morning because no one will be able to advise you why the letter states this and no mention of backdated money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Befuddled74
    Befuddled74 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks guys. I will bite the bullet and give them a bell...I don't like to poke the bear but if this appears odd to you I guess I should. Thanks for taking the time to reply x
  • Katkins
    Katkins Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I called yesterday and was told my form had been received and now it's a waiting game. 
    She said if I'm entitled to money owed, they will write to me with a breakdown of why and how much.
    All I know is it seems hopeful from the calls I've made.
    This side of Xmas would be nice! 
  • GorillaWheels
    GorillaWheels Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Befuddled74 I think it just shows to 28th November because the next fortnightly payment of your ESA will include the £10 Christmas bonus so the payment will be a different figure.  Your disability premium will still be in payment after this.  They do write to you about any money owed you, hopefully it won't take much longer to sort.
  • Lisa1985
    Lisa1985 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    Thanks I have foned esa they are sending me the form esa3 out thank you 
  • herbie1986
    herbie1986 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    I contacted ESA yesterday about my form, they have received but not put it on the computer as yet.

I have been told I am looking to hear back in February time.

I posted mine a week ago 

• Florals
    Florals Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited November 2018
    Hey there,

Sorry if hijacking, I wasn't sure if there was much point in starting a brand new thread!

I got a ring about my ESA letter about back pay dated in 2012, the lady I spoke to said she was looking over my form and I'll hear back within 12 weeks with their decision. Does this mean I'm DEFINITELY getting back paid? I was on IB and moved to Cont ESA, which to be honest I didn't really notice too much as I didn't handle my money, it was only when I took my Dog to a budget vets and they pointed it out to me.

I was single until 2013, but my partner didn't and still doesn't work as they care for me. I've had no savings and that's what I was asked about when they rang as I missed a question.

So a few questions:

- Am I definitely getting back paid?

- Do I need to worry about anything?

- If anyone has received their back pay, do you remember how long it took?

AND do you think there's any hope of it being this side of Christmas?

Thank you in advance! :)

EDIT: Also, is it paid on your regular ESA  payment day, or just randomly? :tongue:
  • poppy123456
    You say you were single until 2013. Are you saying you live with your partner now and they don't work? If so, what benefits is your partner claiming? Claiming a means tested benefit you would claim as a couple not as a single person, if you live together.
  • Florals
    You say you were single until 2013. Are you saying you live with your partner now and they don't work? If so, what benefits is your partner claiming? Claiming a means tested benefit you would claim as a couple not as a single person, if you live together.
    My partner and I didn't move in together until last year, and we rang up to make a joint claim then in 2017. They are on carers and income support. What will that mean? :tongue: Also, thank you for your quick reply! :) 
  • Florals
    Uh I also wanna make it very clear, we weren't dating "SERIOUSLY" until the end of 2016, it was on and off(mostly off) due to my mental health and only as of the past year would I consider it an actual "relationship". I informed DWP (ASAP) of the change within a few days of us getting a place together, when it was more "stable" and as you can see that's exactly why I feel I need to clarify; due to how you worded it I'm not 100% sure that you think I've tried to scam the system or anything (and don't take it personally! It's just how I am) but yeah, just wanted to clarify incase someone is spying on me lol. I am too scared and paranoid to mess around with that kind of thing anyway.
  • poppy123456
    I didn't word it or think that you were scamming the system at all, i'm actually trying to help you here. Without knowing all of your details it's impossible for anyone to help you.

As your partner claims Income Support and you claim Contributions based ESA then you won't be entitled to any Income Related top up from the time your partner claimed the Income Support. This is because income support is means tested and they will count this in the calculation when assessing the Income related top up and the income support will be counted £1 for £1 for the Income related top up on ESA. As the income Support is more than the top up on ESA then you won't be entitled to anything extra.

The ESA3 form you filled in would have asked you questions about what your partner claims/earns etc.

This doesn't mean that you won't be entitled to some backdated money from the time before your partner moved in with you and claimed the Income Support. For this, you'll have to wait for them to make a decision and it can take 12 weeks or more. They will write to you once a decision's been made.
  • Florals
    I'm sorry Poppy! I suffer with paranoia lol. I didn't mean any offence by it at all I promise. :( My family get the worst of it when I think they're poisoning my food lol! When I'm being logical I know it's not true.

Thank you for your help! And I'm really sorry if I offended you I didn't mean to. 

Yeah they did :) I was just wondering how long it might take, thank you for your reply again!
  • poppy123456
    No worries @Florals no offense taken, honest! I hate prying but it's just extremely difficult to help without all the information.

How long it takes with the DWP is usually like saying "how long is a piece of string lol" hopefully not too long, is really all i can say.
  • Sheilamoose
    Sheilamoose Community member Posts: 17 Listener

Received large brown envelope today (ESA3 IBR). DWP are asking me for all income details from 7 May 2013 (Migration to Support Group) to 5 November 2016 (State Pension start date).

Am wondering whether it really is worth the effort of filling in the form in my circumstances? My CB ESA was frozen at around £120pw, my husband is my carer but receives a yearly HM Forces military pension of around £8k  - won't this take us over any money limit for IB ESA?

Can anyone advise on money limit for IR ESA as I really do not want to plod through a 44 page form for nothing, lol?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.