Would I be able to claim PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I be able to claim PIP?

mx_riley
mx_riley Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there. My name is Riley. I am non-binary transgender and use they/them pronouns. I'm new around here. My problems are all mental health related and admittedly I feel like these "don't really count" in some way. I don't know. I have chronic depression and anxiety and CPTSD (which is in a really bad patch at the moment). I've been through various counsellors through charities and have been on the NHS waiting list for psychological services for the past year and still have a few months wait left. I'm pretty much exhausted the antidepressants I can try. I've been curious as to if it would be possible for me to apply for PIP in order to pay to go private as I just cannot continue the way I am. I've even had two stays in a crisis centre within this year. I am not doing well and I just want to improve and get better and just have a life that isn't taken over by intrusive thoughts and fears about being attacked. I just want to feel safe. I'm completely obsessed with that at the moment. Just the need to feel safe...
Sorry for waffle.
Thanks for reading.

Riley.

I use They/Them/Their pronouns.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mx_riley welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear your how you are feeling, it sounds like a really stressful time! Have a look at the information provided in our PIP section which explains all you need to know! Also, try out this PIP self-test. This will help give you an idea of what questions you may be asked.

Regarding the waiting times, I really hope you don’t have to wait too much longer!

Do let us know if we can be of any further assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    H @mx_riley, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here. We recently ran an LGBTQ+ theme here on the community, so you may be interested in some of our recent guest blogs by our other members.

It certainly sounds as though PIP may be beneficial for you. Do have a look at the PIP links provided above by Ami, and feel free to come back to us with any questions. Many of our members have been through the process themselves and will be happy to advise! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.