Pip Assessment report being inaccurate - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment report being inaccurate

Comments

• sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    @Horrified65 So sorry, this whole process is obviously stressing you out. I feel your frustration. My report too is a complete load of lies it says I said things that my husband who was with me absolutely says I didn't say it is to be frank a pile of rubbish to add to that the decision maker has cherry picked from it to make out that I'm absolutely fine. I sent in my MR and that decision maker has looked at even less of the evidence and just cut and pasted the original decision makers remarks. Honestly my advice to you is not to stress yourself out too much over the MR, chances are it won't make the blindest bit of difference. It's just a stage you have to go through in the appeal. Prepare for a tribunal. Write yourself some notes, keep a diary write down specifically why the tasks in the descriptors are a problem. It might be an idea to look at the guidance notes written by DWP for assessors. It is a long document but it might help guide you to know how to frame your answers specifically against the descriptors. They do not consider any difficulties that a person may have with daily living or mobility that are not included in the descriptors. I really hope this helps you. X
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Say where the report is inaccurate.  You don't have to use the terms 'liar' or 'lies'. Say what the truth is and what descriptors should apply and why.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    So as I expected I am now losing my Mobility Vehicle after about 12 years due to the assessors blatant lies.  I have got some further letters from
    my GP and also from
    my Consultants.
    Can anyone tell me the best way to do a Mandatory Reconsideration?
    Hi I know where you are coming from. My PIP experience was a biannual review which for the three that I have had resulted in 3 Motability cars being taken back in the past 5 years.

There is no longer any certainty with having a Motability vehicle - it is at risk every time you have a re-assessment. Best advice - buy your own or use the bus/taxi/train instead.
  • fluffy84
    fluffy84 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    So sorry to hear about your experience. 

Please don't worry too much about saying that your assessment was falsified if it was. It is completely legitimate to use that sort of language. 
    We did and although did not achieve anything by doing the MR we did win at the tribunal. My sister-in-law was originally awarded nothing for living and lower award for mobility. After the tribunal she was awarded, quite rightly, higher for both. 
    We are currently pursuing a legal case against the DWP and ATOS for the process and the illegalities within it. 

I would recommend appeal and asking for a MR - but don't hold out too much hope. It is common practice for the DWP to side with the original assessor and disregard your appeal. Continue with the process and prepare for a tribunal case. 

My advice is to go through every single aspect of the PIP 'points' and provide evidence as to why the assessor is wrong. IF the assessor fabricated aspects of it then do use that language - just keep it formal and factual. Write to your GP and other members of the multi disciplinary team (OT's, Physio's etc) and ask them to provide reports backing up your claim. Use this as evidence. Ask people who help with your cares to write a personal statement on your day to day needs and use this as direct evidence. Go through all of you previous clinic letters etc and use any statements within them as evidence. 
    I found it really helpful to use the DWP website and go through all of the requirements for PIP and the 'points' so that I could show why my sister-in-law met their requirements. 

I tried to use statements such as:
    At the assessment ...(name) ...... was awarded 2 points for preparing a meal. This is incorrect. She should have been awarded 4 points. The DWP website demands that 4 points be awarded if an individual requires supervision when preparing a meal. Evidence from ....(name) ....... GP states that..................... Evidence from ... (name) ..... Physiotherapist states that.......... 
    The assessors conclusions should be disregarded as they did not observe ...(name) doing ......... The assessor also reported that they assessed (name) ability to pick up a plate but this did not happen. 

(The DWP include a list of words which directly explain what 'supervision' is - for example. Use this to explain why you fit within that criteria) 

The above is juts a very quickly made up statement and not actually accurate! Just made it up to give you and idea of how I approached the MR and tribunal. 

It is a long and drawn out process and it can  be very stressful but I would strongly advise that you peruse this to tribunal. If you are successful (many are) then you will receive a back payment dating back to your original application. 

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Wishing you much luck. x
  • Lindaann
    Lindaann Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    On my daughters assessment almost everything she had said/not said had been twisted ... i cannot believe that the young man assessing her had done this as he was very helpful and understanding of the pain she was in that same day .would you make notes of this to take to court or send in advance !
  • Horrified65
    Horrified65 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    @fluffy84 This is great information
    thanks so much.
    It seems reading most peoples comments that a MR is a waste of time and just a paper process to use as a stepping stone to tribunal, which I will be doing. Your information is very helpful as I am struggling with the words to use againt blatant lies and things I did not say!
  • fluffy84
    Lindaann said:
    On my daughters assessment almost everything she had said/not said had been twisted ... i cannot believe that the young man assessing her had done this as he was very helpful and understanding of the pain she was in that same day .would you make notes of this to take to court or send in advance !
    Send everything in writing to the court. A lot of their decision making it based on the evidence which you send in. They clearly read it well before the case as during our tribunal they made reference to a huge amount of the evidence we sent in. 
    Be as detailed as you are able. You could even go through the assessment document line by line and depute the parts which were fabricated. Then provide evidence to show that you can prove that what the assessor has said is wrong - reports from GP etc. 
    xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    There's only a 17% chance of the decision changing at MR stage so most have to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fluffy84
    @fluffy84 This is great information
    thanks so much.
    It seems reading most peoples comments that a MR is a waste of time and just a paper process to use as a stepping stone to tribunal, which I will be doing. Your information is very helpful as I am struggling with the words to use againt blatant lies and things I did not say!
    It's really hard to get into the 'mind set' of writing this sort of thing. It took me ages!!! But if you are able to get reports from medical professionals it really helps. 

Anything which you sent to the DWP from this point will be used in court so try and keep your MR as factual as possible and obtain as much evidence as you possibly can. 

If you proceed to a tribunal then any further evidence which you obtain must be sent to the court at least a week prior to the tribunal date. (Ie further reports from medical professionals). We had a long wait from application to tribunal - 10 months - so there was time to wait for reports from drs etc. The courts will send you details of where to send any evidence. As they are totally independent from the DWP they were extremely helpful to deal with and were considerate throughout the whole process. 

Please do ask if you want any further advice. I can totally appreciate how difficult it is to negotiate this process - especially when in pain and struggling with mobility etc. 

Massive well done to you for fighting this. Its an outright disgrace that its this difficult. xxx
  • Horrified65
  • Horrified65
    Great news @chrisvanf. I am just ready to post my MR.
  • lynnoseman
    lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hi my husband has just had his PIP Assessment and what an awful experience it was we have a feeling she was not listening to what we were saying and she kept cutting us short didn't want to know about how things affected him it was awful. Never experienced anything like it. He is waiting for a copy of the assessors report.can't wait to see what she's put e have a feeling it will be the opposite to what was said. 
    ive just asked for a copy of my sons as the things the decision maker has put in the letter sounds also like they didn't listen.Its also very difficult for someone to decribe mental illness and how it makes you feel, The assessor also kept cutting us short and fireing questions at him it was terrible. 
  • Lindaann
    Lindaann Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    You will probably find the the final report bares no resemblance to what was actually said ! How they can change a report to suit baffles me  good luck x
  • lynnoseman
  • Horrified65
    @lynnoseman I had the same experience, it is awful how these people can lie, this is someones life! I have just posted my MR and will take it all the way. It’s about time the assessments were “real life” and the assessors telling the truth! Good Luck 
  • Horrified65
    @annegardner - good luck, these assessors are awful. Contact your MP nothing is going to change unless we all complain and stick together.
  • lynnoseman
    edited November 2018
    Hi I e emailed my MP hope he replies in time ? Im
    also trying to contact [name edited by moderator] the Dr who treated him when he was sectioned. It’s all so stressful  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    I'm not sure what your MP can do at this stage. MP don't normally have any benefit knowledge when it comes to PIP.

Do you have any letters from past appointments that you can use as evidence? If not, ask his GP if he has anything in his medical records that you can use. A supporting letter from yourself will also help.

Look at the PIP descriptors to see where you think he should have scored those points and write the letter against those. If he has help from you then mention that in the letter, stating the reasons why he needs your help.

I would advise you to remove the name of his DR. This is an internet forum and using peoples real names and giving personal details isn't the best thing to do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lynnoseman
    i cant delete her name, even so she is a well-known doctor and her name is all over the internet so not sure what to do now. i really need help with the MR form i think, and im afraid my son who is ill probably didnt appear so at the assessment, what do you do about that. In the report they have gone by what he looked like and his demeanor so how do i tell him to change that, its impossible, Really difficult to show your mental illness.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.