5 year old non verbal daughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

5 year old non verbal daughter

Options
taylor1
taylor1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hello everyone just looking for some help on how to get my little girl to talk to me ? she has asd she is non verbal but talks repeated stuff from telly. She is in mainstream school (I'm fighting to get her moved) her speech and language has only just started again thanks to school getting involved. She spent 3 years in nursery to which het speech and language attended 3 times for all of 10 minutes ? my girl is so so clever I just want more from her than want a Bobby of milk or want trampoline. Ive tried bribery showing her if she asks for it she will get it but as yet nothing ? she is my mini best friend and it kills me that I can't get in to her world

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @taylor1

The National Autistic Society say:

Your child might find social situations difficult. Other children appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, and many parents of autistic children struggle to explain why their children struggle with social interaction when they can have extraordinary skills in other areas. Here we offer ideas on helping your child with understanding emotions, conversation, play, and dealing with conflict. We also give you some top tips, look at at how you can help to reduce social stressors, and where you can find out more.

We also have some information about communication on the Scope website.

Communication is crucial to playing and learning. Here are some resources to support children with additional communication needs.

Communication resources
    Communication passports (Word download) 
    Communication passports offer a simple practical guide about the non-verbal child, so people can quickly understand their needs.
    Play Talks 
    The importance of play and early communication skills for all children
    Read communication tips from our online community.
    Organisations that can help with communication impairments
    Afasic 
    Inclusion of children and young adults with speech and language impairments.
    Aids to Communication in Education
    Help and support for children who have complex physical and communication difficulties.
    Non-verbal communication app - Tippy Talk
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @taylor1. My daughter (asd) was also non verbal for a good while. She's 6 now and talks, but much of her speech is echolalia and phrases she's learnt from TV shows. It can be so frustrating when your child can't tell you what they need, how they feel etc - for you, and even more so for them! 

Have you tried any other ways of communicating with her? Such as Makaton or PECS? It's horrible to think about, but she may be one of those who never really talks 'properly', but that doesn't mean you can't communicate with each other in another way. It's definitely worth looking into while you wait for SLT services to take effect. 

Brightness