10 year awards — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

10 year awards

ataloss2018
ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
 Is there any further news on the announcement in June?

This is in regard to some people being given a 10 year award if they have a life-long condition, are already in receipt of PIP and receive enhanced rates for both components.  

Comments

• mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Looks like it still in the works...plus I imagine they'll have a list of unchanging, life long conditions that your condition will need to be a part of.
    Sarah
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    The length of an award is not worth the paper it's written on as the DWP can review you at any time they decide to
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    You could have a lifelong condition that is also life limiting but there is no guarantee that you would get anything like enhanced for both components.

Then you could have a claimant that gets 12 points for each of both of the components yet the condition may well improve in time so is given a 5 year award. 

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    I have a ongoing award 10 years and I do feel it's not gonna be worth the Paper it's wrote on as mention they can review it anytime? 

To me I will take it as I have it one month at a time. Yes they also know I'm never going to improve.

The way I feel about PIP and UC it's all a ******* joke and I'm sick to death of assessments, filling in forms as it's mentally draining on the brain.

So No I don't believe I will be ever left alone from these Tory scum because they keep you firmly tied to a piece of sting and wind you in when they want.

Sorry for the rant, but it's the truth you can't really on anything from the Tory's.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    I agree with you. The 10 year awards are reviewable at any time. 
    What gets me is that there are people I know including myself that are disabled with long term life threatening conditions that will never improve (Pulmonary Fibrosis, Aneurism in the stomach wall and Chronic Pancreatitis to name just three of mine) that the impact on life is negligible Yet for others with similar complaints the impact on their life is enormous only because of the drugs that I take and sheer will power in overcoming anything that is thrown at them. 

So take say Pulmonary Fibrosis which is long term and life limiting. It affects everything you do as in my case my right lung is inoperative. Breathlessness is a forever problem. If that was one of the 'relevant conditions' the 10 year award would only come into play if the claimant could prove that the impact is so severe in that any form of exercise leaves the claimant short of breath. No points would be given that despite the condition if it can be limited with copious amounts of steroids etc
    edited October 2018
    @yadnad my friend as I've said to you before I do believe you've had a raw deal regarding PIP and I can feel your pain regarding it. Like me with one of mine that makes me very breathless COPD stage 3 now.

As you know I posted a screenshot of my award you may remember, and I diden't need a Face to Face..  So I would like to think I will get left alone for a good while yet. 

Believe me I really don't trust them or anyone now, being on benefits has really made me feel worthless, I do miss my old life but that's now gone I have to live with constant worrying that my support can soon be taken away and seeing those awful brown envolopes.

Further info for the OP regarding ongoing or 10 year awards.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Yadnad
    edited October 2018
    @yadnad my friend as I've said to you before I do believe you've had a raw deal regarding PIP and I can feel your pain regarding it. Like me with one of mine that makes me very breathless COPD stage 3 now.

As you know I posted a screenshot of my award you may remember, and I diden't need a Face to Face..  So I would like to think I will get left alone for a good while yet. 

Believe me I really don't trust them or anyone now, being on benefits has really made me feel worthless, I do miss my old life but that's now gone I have to live with constant worrying that my support can soon be taken away and seeing those awful brown envolopes.

Further info for the OP regarding ongoing or 10 year awards.

Yes I too don't trust anybody and not just the DWP. Life has been rough I'll admit and it doesn't help after spending many years working for the government in dealing with every type of low life you can imagine. It got to a point that after years of being lied to day in day out I ended up believing that most people, unless proven otherwise, will lie for any reason as long as it gets them off the hook. Since retirement it has been like a dose of fresh air finding that there are more good people than bad. But old habits die hard - always looking for how people could abuse the systems.
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    edited October 2018
    I'll just say, this is how I think of my 10 year award. They are too busy hassling people with shorter awards to keep contacting those of us with 10 year awards. They can hardly keep up with those who get assessed every 6 months! Unless you condition improves or gets worse to point you must tell DWP, I'd try not to worry. I know that is easier said than done. 
    Sarah
    edited October 2018
    The “light touch” guidance has not been issued and so the process effectively doesn’t exist. Still getting most 10 year awards reviewed at the 3 year stage. 

@Username_removed I realise the "light touch" guidance was supposed to be done this summer? But as this Tory Government cannot get things done right we will have to wait and see. 

As we've touched on this subject before it seems completely pointless given these ongoing 10year awards if they call you up in three, what a waste of money our time, their time, it just seems a crazy way of doing things.

Ive decided if this is the case, and do it in say three years I will tell em to shove it because I will not keep pandering to their every whim anymore, what with UC around the corner too.  Enough is enough I can assure before I take my life because of all this I will tell my story sad time it truly is. 

All I wanted was another five years to retire and then they could stick the benefits where the moon don't shine and I would be free.
    ⬇️

• chiz
    chiz Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi .. i dont think anyone with the 10yr award as been on it longer enough to have the light touch assessement , my assessor recommended  a 2 yr award it was the dm that changed mine to ongoing with a review after sept 2028...
    What was the point of her changing it to 10yrs when she could have given the 2yrs that was recommended , so based on my experience alone im hoping they dont start asking for reassessents 2 yrs down the line ... 
    Also i live in hope the next few years will see away with this dreaded pip ..
    Ellen x
    chiz said:
    Hi .. i dont think anyone with the 10yr award as been on it longer enough to have the light touch assessement , my assessor recommended  a 2 yr award it was the dm that changed mine to ongoing with a review after sept 2028...
    What was the point of her changing it to 10yrs when she could have given the 2yrs that was recommended , so based on my experience alone im hoping they dont start asking for reassessents 2 yrs down the line ... 
    Also i live in hope the next few years will see away with this dreaded pip ..
    Ellen x

@chiz you did well there to get a 2 yr award change by the DM to 10 yr? That I really would say is defo a good result.

I also am like you think what is the point in reviewing?

But mike is a Welfer rights person, and obviously had seen this happen.
    We live in hope that we are left alone for a good while yet.
    ⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.