Why aren't SatNavs counted in PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why aren't SatNavs counted in PIP?

Options
George1
George1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello to one and all. 
I've just received my judgement and although I had advanced rate mobility on DLA I have been rejected on the "planning and following a route" despite repeatedly saying I need someone with me I score 0. I'm going for retrial and will let you know the outcome. 
Anybody understand why Satnav's are not allowed, We couldn't go anywhere new without it as the commentary is excellent and it re-routes around roadworks etc. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @George1

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today.

We have got some info on “Benefit’s” here on our site.

I will post a link below for you

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

We have got more info & advice here on our website/Community.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you further????

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @George1 Pleased to meet you .

Sorry what has happened. I want to wish you the best in any appeal you have. For a successful outcome. We as a community are here to give you support and advice.

I do not understand that either why satnavs not allowed. In agreement with you there.

One piece of advice speak to some one like CAB for any appeals lots of support, guidance and information. Helped me with forms.

Hope that helps.

We are a supportive, friendly community. Please ask if we can help.

Pleasure to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @George1 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what happened. Did you go into the assessment by yourself or with someone?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • George1
    Options
    I went on my own as the person who was going with me was taken ill just before we were due to leave for the f2f and I admit I sort of panicked about the cancel twice rule. The first f2f was cancelled by the dwp 30mins before I was due to leave. I thought that if I cacel this and are then ill on the day of the 3rd f2f I would lose it all, so like a fool I went alone. I found out I had messed up when my daughter rang to see how I got on, I felt a right idiot... Plz don't agree!!!! 

• George1
    Options
    Many thanks to you all for the help and advice I will definitely contact CAB
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A satnav isn't an aid for following and planning a journey because lots of people use them. If this was classed as an aid then everyone would be claiming PIP mobility for following and planning a journey. I'm sure most people wouldn't travel anywhere new without one. Needing to use a satnav will most certainly not get you any points for following and planning a journey. Scoring points in this will totally depend how your conditions affect you.

I'd advise getting further help and advice because it's extremely difficult to advise on an internet forum because no one knows how your conditions affect you daily.

You say a retrial? Do you mean Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) or Tribunal? MR is the first step and you can't take it to Tribunal without first asking for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • George1
    Options
    Thanks Poppy123456.
    I'm going for an MR. 
  • George1
    Options
    Thanks Mike, I've never heard of specially adapted Satnav's but I will certainly have a good look round. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The case law on satnavs is that they don’t count as an aid unless explicitly designed for use by a disabled person. That would make sense if some satnavs were but those few that were are no longer on the market. I’ve been looking for a test case on this for ages but unless you’re in my geographical area you need to find someone in your area willing to run such a case as a test case.
    Yet I believe that if you have to sit on your bed, chair or hold on to a central heating radiator to get dressed and undressed etc those are treated as an aid!!! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.