Disability is not a costume — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability is not a costume

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
In a recent teen vogue article, Brittney McNamara wrote about why it's not OK to dress up as a disabled person for Halloween.

They say:

On Halloween, there are so many ways to dress up that aren't offensive — and yet, many seem to flock to costumes that appropriate, belittle, and demean. While we often talk about not culturally appropriating on Halloween, it's equally as important that we don't dress up as any kind of marginalized or stigmatized group — including people with health issues or disabled people.

What do you think? How do you feel if you see someone with a cane or a walker on halloween? Or for example a 'blind referee', let us know what you think!
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I would perceive it as disgraceful and a form of mockery. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    I've had a google and there doesn't seem to be a trend for this so that is good. Halloween has been totally corrupted by American influence though and I doubt children even know why it's done.
    Many costume hire shops are applying limits to what they will supply now. Things such as Nazi uniforms are not offered.
    At least the recent trend for dressing up as a "Sexy Vampire" etc. has declined.
    Before jumping to offence, let's see if it actually happens tonight.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    I hope something nasty happens to anyone who uses a wheelchair to mock disabled people.
    [edited by moderator]
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @Misscleo
    I understand that emotions can be raised but we can't allow talk of physical violence and so your comment has been edited.
    Scope
  • victoriafinney
    victoriafinney Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    I went out dressed as a vamipr(a) once when using a wheelchair.
    Got screamed at by some do-gooder for mocking the disabled and they tipped me over! Couldn't get off the floor!
    Don't go out for halloween anymore. 
  • wedgehog
    wedgehog Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Yes Victoria, Everyone seems to think they are the behavior police these days, that's no different to having an invisible disability and getting screamed at by another disabled person when you park in a disabled slot. As I often do.
    There is nothing more sickening than having to prove you are disabled, we get enough of that toxic prejudice from the government.
     I think a good enough frightening Halloween costume would be to go as Mc Evil.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.