Change of address caused PIP issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of address caused PIP issues

simarouba
simarouba Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a long-standing issue with the PIP.
The PIP had given me funds untill of November 17th of this year but stopped them in January thut year because of a failure to respond to a change of address, which i had no idea they wanted as they sent it to the OLD address which I was bullied out of because of my disability. I didn't get the order to tell them of the new address until it was too late.
I don't know what to do and would appreciate very much someone coming into my corner and get back what's been issued to me in the first place!
Thank you very much for your time and consideration. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A change of address is classed as a change of circumstances, which need to be reported. It does state this on all letters from DWP.

Was it a review form that they sent you? I'm assuming it was as you say your PIP award was until November this year and reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end.

Did you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration at the time they stopped it? Is there any reason why you've left it this long?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    What I can say and I have had this happen to me. A while ago I had a letter from the DWP asking me where I had moved to. Strange I thought so i ignored it as I have lived here for the past 15 years. A few weeks later I realised that my IIDB didn't get paid into the bank. So thinking that it was a glitch or something I waited the next 4 weeks to see what would happen with my next payment - that too never arrived.
    I wrote to the DWP asking about the missing monies and a few weeks went by when I received a reply telling me that one of their letters addressed to me had been returned by the Post Office marked 'no longer living at this address'.

All in all it took almost 5 months for the DWP to accept that I had never moved and they then paid the missing monies to me.
  • poppy123456
    Not sure what this has to do with simarouba's post because they did change address and didn't notify DWP when they should have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Not sure what this has to do with simarouba's post because they did change address and didn't notify DWP when they should have.
    Just pointing out that the DWP are that useless that if they don't get a reply to a letter they assume that you have changed address. So for all intents and purposes the DWP believed that I had moved and failed to notify them of that move.
    Yes the OP actually moved whereas the DWP assumed I had.

Like the OP and whether you are assumed to have moved or actually have moved the result is just the same - they stop your payments. Getting them back in payment is an absolute nightmare as the OP has found out. In my case I had to prove that I was still living at the same address. Unfortunately the OP has had theirs stopped permanently, mine took 5 months to sort out.

• simarouba
    Hi,
        Only just found out how to link comments !
     If you don't mind I best start at the beginning and facts only.
     In April 2017 I had to move from my family home for a couple of months. My new address was given to the dSS within a week. When I moved back I informed them both ( ESA &PIP) within 2days including my new phone number. I repeated the action a week later for peace of mind as that wasn't my first rodeo.
     Fast forward to 23rd December when my brother gave me mail from the temporary address as he saw the landlord. I found a letter from the PIP wanting affirmation of the new address (family home) BY 23rd December. I now know the landlord was trying to be funny by giving me my mail ON THE DAY I needed to respond.
     My depression hit so on the 7th January 2018 I was suspended. I appealed but the computer said no. I was two days appealing the appeal and they stopped it.
     I have no counsel so it all was left untill January 2019 when I got a letter from the tribunal stating they will be looking at my case ! As far as I knew I was too late for the case to be heard yet that was what they would be doing.
     The PIP was awarded to me for the next two years as well as the years back pay. However 24 days later I'm looking at an application for PIP sent to me from the same department that conseeded the case 24 days earlier. Ultimately a nurse from PIP's employ did a home visit and stuffed my application from 36 points (on the original application) to 4 points.
     I'm now in the process of appealing this (about to post appeal)
      Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter, I'm extremely grateful,
      All the best, Simon
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @simarouba, I don't believe we've "met" before. :)

It sounds like there's been a lot of issues with your PIP claim! Have you already submitted a mandatory reconsideration? Have you had any help with your appeal paperwork? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • simarouba
    Hello,glad to meet you.
     I have to make this short as I feel thoroughly roughed up by what the dSS have done to me.
      You are correct in pointing out I have no help with my forms and also am cutting it fine sending back my reconsideration form. I don't really want to go into one, let's say this road has been worn out with my constant traveling. The amount of misinformation the dSS creates is disheartening so I usually stop functioning at this juncture.
     Sorry about this
  • poppy123456
    If you are close to the date for returning the form to request the MR then ring PIP to request it over the phone and then send the form back.

When requesting the MR you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

This link will help you find what's local to you for help with the MR and Tribunal. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the MR request goes okay @simarouba and welcome to the community! :)
    Scope

• simarouba
    Thank you all so very much.
     This is what I have needed for a good while, someone I can correspond with that's just saying it how it is and not misinforming me to despair.
     I will be getting on to the PIP first thing tomorrow.
    Thanks again everyone, your diamonds ? ! (especially Poppy for initialising with me and my case !) ??
       I will of course update as and when anything new turns up 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.