PIP ASSESMENTS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESMENTS

dianejane
dianejane Community member Posts: 12 Connected
I am so scared...I have this New PIP asessment where I have to go to an interview or i lose my money and my independance.  I think these interviews are degrading and it make me feel like a child! I have heard they are ripping peoples benefits away from them if they do one more walking step...theyre dont look like theyre in pain etc I mean How do they know? I find this system terrible and its making my mobility worse from stress...

Comments

• topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @dianejane a warm welcome to you , yes i know what you mean , yes they are degrading  i think for everyone , when is your assessment , try not to stress yourself out about it and i know it is easier said then done .just think to yourself once its over with that is it  .
  • Phill2433
    Phill2433 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Can you have your PIP reassessed. I am on low rate mobility but my illness is getting worse. I have stage 3 COPD. 
    I am soon having ti go for an operation on my right lung. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    If your condition worstens then you can put in  change of circumstance which will usually mean a full reassessment
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • topshoes
    edited October 2018
    @Phill2433 i am sorry to hear that , i think you can if things get worse yes , the thing is might be better for you once you had operation  to get in touch with them , or your going to have more stress
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Phill2433 said:
    Can you have your PIP reassessed. I am on low rate mobility but my illness is getting worse. I have stage 3 COPD. 
    I am soon having ti go for an operation on my right lung. 
    You need to get further advice from welfare rights/CAB or similar before reporting a worsening condition. A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. Your existing award maybe at risk because people report changes and they lose everything they already have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Things to know about PIP

DLA and PIP use different criteria for awards

When making the initial phone call ask for your DLA to be taken into consideration if applicable

All of what you say is good advice, although I do disagree with some of it but that isn't relevant here.

For the purpose of completeness as the above two comments are contradictory.
    If DLA has different criteria for an award I wonder if you could explain to the OP why you say that the claimant should ask the DWP to take the DLA award into consideration when claiming PIP?
     Confused 
  • dianejane
    Thank you everyone. Im also worried that Im gonna go alone? My appointment is 19th Nov.  They first told me to go london for my f2f..I rang them to get that changed as I did ask for "local" & I get anxious if in a place I dont know. They gave me Hitchin which is closer.  But my daughter may not be able to help (school runs etc) if i turn up alone can they judge me as "doing things for myself" and can be able to do things myself..meaning im able to plan journeys myself?
    Im just worried sick...as i do suffer severe anxiety and severe depression..along with my physical disabililtes.
  • topshoes
    that is fine you are more then welcome , yes when they phoned me up they said about me going miles away so ask for one close then could get me , that was about 5 miles away , i went on my own,  i was worrying  how to get to the pleace more then any think , yes it is so stressful for anyone 
  • dianejane
    You are so right...we learn to live with our disabilities so we work alongside the pain. Im on 24/7 MST..and Oramorph. Without my MST...im climbing the walls in agony...I dont know if to show my "true colours" by not taking it..so by the time I go. I BE in agony. I know my gp wont be happy...but after yrs of being on very high doses...m6 body has learnt to adapt the pain? Does that make sense?
  • topshoes
    if the dr give you pills you need to take them as it says on pk , yes i think so x 
  • dianejane
    Yes true....thank you...As I think ,like all of us,i think..  we are genuine...as PIP are making me feel like a fraud...Its like they dont "believe" us ..and its our job to convince them that what I am saying is genuine...sorry this is my anxiety starting to come through...im not sleeping because of this worry. 
  • topshoes
    try not to worry to much dont do you any good 
  • topshoes
    think you will find they make everyone feel like that , yes i know i wonder if the tables were turned what would they think then , thats fine
  • topshoes
    i say good night now, see if you can get some sleep , and please try not to worry , not sure if anyone is up or not  on here . 
  • poppy123456
    When you filled out the form, if you stated that you don't go anywhere alone for following and planning a journey and you go to the assessment alone then it could go against you because it like you're contradicting what you've said.

During your assessment they will watch you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. If you can't do something that will cause you pain and discomfort then tell them you can't do it and your reasons why.

Have a read of the PIP2 form you sent before you go  (hopefully you kept a copy for yourself) just to remind you of what you said. If you're planning on handing in extra evidence on the day then be aware that they may not accept it, it happened to me and lots of other people too. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dianejane
    Thank you...yes CAB..helped fill the form out for me and gave me a copy. I have a bag full of hospital appointments...Im under 5 consultants..(CAB did photo copy some and sent it off with my application for PIP) 
    I WILL go see CAB this week and ask if anyone can assist me. One other thing..I've just been referred to yet another consultant..due to excessive tiredness I've had test after test..I personally feel its fibromyalgia but I'm no Dr. But I now have to see a endocrinologist? I think that's their title to test my pituitary gland. I just got the letter for my first appointment. Should I take that?
  • poppy123456
    Just so you know, future appointment dates/times are not classed as evidence for a PIP claim.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    dianejane said:
    Yes true....thank you...As I think ,like all of us,i think..  we are genuine...as PIP are making me feel like a fraud...Its like they dont "believe" us ..and its our job to convince them that what I am saying is genuine...sorry this is my anxiety starting to come through...im not sleeping because of this worry. 
    That's absolutely true. Otherwise if the DWP were to accept what everybody put's on their claim form everyone would be receiving an award of Enhanced Care & Mobility.

Until you can prove that you are innocent and not trying to defraud the DWP then you will not get any award.
  • dianejane
    Unfortunately..theres frauds in every mode...especially gangs doung fraudulent claims..this then puts pressure on the genuine claimants like ourselves..I bet all of us on here have hospital notes so long..so this from appointments...surgeries..that even mine is carried by the nurse with 2 arms! That heavy!. Then yes I do agree theres the ones that have no drs...no consultant paperwork..etc and are claiming.... many years ago people were put on disability for migraine and headaches!! Yes hard to prove even if you do suffer from them. But surely when you fill in the part "can we contact any dr...surgeon...organisation" etc. And You give a couple of links..they can see the visits..the ops youve had..the meds you are on..that surely  you could bypass these f2f appointments? I mean ive read some appalling cases of amputees...severe disabilities..having their PIP denied..how on earth can the adjudicator sleep at night?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.