A SPICEMAN TALE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A SPICEMAN TALE

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body at last got my bathroom tap fixed. Been a week of trying to keep clean .  Even the simplicity of washing has been a scene out of a Carry on film.

Trying to wash and go in my sense means half the time fighting to get hot water.  Bathing in cold water with soap in your eyes and trying to rinse off the soap.  With the hot water tap not working.

I do not wish to go into graphic details.  Fear of not wanting any body to have visions or images in their head of my self in the bath.

Maybe should have put a warning first. Do know some of our community sensitive.  He says.  I am considerate .

Anyway one needs to be clean and look their sparkly best. Even they have a bad day.

At last can look forward to a warm bath tomorrow, lets hope and pray .  Just finished now the workman . Got hot water.

Good reason to celebrate.

Speak soon.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    That is a reason to be cheerful!!!  :D
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Nothing better than a hot shower/bath!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Sam_Scope @Ami2301 Thank you for kind words helps the anxiety and stress.

Been awful. One stage using boiling kettle to get hot water.

Have and asked about other things like a shower but like most Housing Associations strapped for cash.

Hope and pray be OK tomorrow.

Speak soon.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Hi    It's much too cold not to have any hot water!!!
    I'm sure you will have a lovely warm bath in the morning.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    @spiceman, you don't have a shower? 
  • thespiceman
    edited October 2018
    Hello @cracker   Thanks for reply. How are you ?  No I do not in answer to your question.

I asked on the phone and they have no plans to install one.. Although had Kitchen done a few years ago and it is falling to bits.

I live in a bungalow rented from a Housing Association. Living in this is a roof over my head. Needs lots doing.

Typical of the homes here. Even have a problem with wiring. Wanted Smart meter fitted.

Very pleasant gent to install concerned over the state of the wiring.

Do know what irks many of us is the pats on the backs magazine sent to the tenants every month or so.  Celebrating the events, achievements and aspirations of the tenants.

Yet I see none of this. Ever wonder when and how asking for simple maintenance. Simple requests for support get nothing.

Waited a week to get this fixed and got it done but is not good. Is it ?

This Housing Association has a mental health branch. Used them several times. Appalling treatment and problems with it. The whole debacle. Left one time to go on my own to assessments for benefits, calls and polite requests ignored.

Meetings and drop in centres waves of sexual harassment, violence, intimidation, bullying and well those in need. Not safe.

Had to defend myself many times from physical harm and bullying.  Plus others who were vulnerable.  Felt used and annoyed and most of all upset.

Not only for me but the victims of any of the above I cited.  Management ignoring and be what may not addressing the real issues.

Have left the mental health side. Of this Housing Association. What has emerged is that several staff have been removed and clientele for doing a lot of harm.

All I have and can say.

Sorry for long post that is then and now. .

Great to talk to you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • cracker
    Hello @cracker   Thanks for reply. How are you ?  No I do not in answer to your question.

I asked on the phone and they have no plans to install one.. Although had Kitchen done a few years ago and it is falling to bits.

I live in a bungalow rented from a Housing Association. Living in this is a roof over my head. Needs lots doing.

Typical of the homes here. Even have a problem with wiring. Wanted Smart meter fitted.

Do know what irks many of us is the pats on the backs magazine sent to the tenants every month or so.  Celebrating the events, achievements and aspirations of the tenants.

Yet I see none of this. Ever wonder when and how asking for simple maintenance. Simple requests for support get nothing.

This Housing Association has a mental health branch. Used them several times. Appalling treatment and problems with it. The whole debacle. Left one time to go on my own to assessments for benefits, calls and polite requests ignored.

Meetings and drop in centres waves of sexual harassment, violence, intimidation, bullying and well those in need. Not safe.

Had to defend myself many times from physical harm and bullying.  Plus others who were vulnerable.  Felt used and annoyed and most of all upset.

Not only for me but the victims of any of the above I cited.  Management ignoring and be what may not addressing the real issues.

Have left the mental health side. Of this Housing Association. What has emerged is that several staff have been removed and clientele for doing a lot of harm.

All I have and can say.

Great to talk to you.

@thespiceman

All I have and can say.

Great to talk to you.

@thespiceman

Oh,@spiceman, this is godawful for you. The Housing Authority here will act immediately if the landlord does not maintain the place. They will refuse to give him his subsidy check until things are fixed. The Plumber and electrician are usually here the same day I need them.

Granted, my landlord is not like all the landlords, some are as bad as yours.

There is nothing you can turn to>

I had hon idea about the abuse there. CAn Scope move on this? It should be publicized, I think news articles, perhaps TV and radio spots. I wonder if SCCOP can help these along>? I would think there would be some outrage, were these events and situations made public. Do the government officials do nothing if they are informed?

I am truly sorry you have to deal with these things. They sound worse than things here are, and I am surprised.

Wishing you all the best.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @cracker great to hear from you. The situation with a lot of housing is the adequate systems and not only that the attitude of many housing associations.

Since been in renting homes every time I find and have been not too happy what I rent.

Understand in my early time with renting it was private.  Related through DSS as it was then, now DWP. Had a landlord who was more interested in the rent and making use of what the advantages of getting that rent cheque from the DSS as it was then.

Ask about anything needed doing forget it . Who has five holidays they did. Often to places where the mere mortal would never ever afford.

Used my rent plus benefit rent cheques to fund lifestyles.

Ask about comforts and making use of a home. Need to ask like wanted  a satellite dish fitted . In all honesty objected.  Insulation need. Winter grant objected.  List goes on. 

Once had the audacity got paid on Monday rang me up demanding my rent going on holiday .They were end of the week.

Amount of stories are so many and I know there will be members of our community with similar.

Living in the UK so many issues and problems with adequate, social housing.  Find if you just scratch the surface every body who works for a pittance on low wages has a story to tell about housing.

I myself do know so much homelessness and what is this Government doing. 

Somethings not right is it when you hear of stories people living in caravans . Because they can not afford rents of sky high properties.

They work as so many do and what about the future all scary stuff.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • cracker
    Hello, @spiceman,

I'd no idea. At the risk of repeating myself, would getting this into the media?I' ve found this to work when nothing else does.

More later to you, and greetings.
  • JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Ok @thespiceman we had a shower in a room so small it was impossible to get a wheelchair in it. However, we got a n OT assessment and we're able to get a grant to change our shower room into a wet room. We also live in a housing association property but with the grant, to which we didn't have to pay anything, the housing association didn't pay anything either. Contact your local Health & Care Point helpline for an OT assessment

Brightness