Anybody heard of FASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anybody heard of FASD

taliam
taliam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I need a diagnoses im 30 years old and I have had an informal diagnoses by a consultant at the hospital once for my son.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taliam welcome to the community!

I apologise, I am not familiar with FASD, would you mind explaining what this is?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Ami2301

FASD, is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, which is caused by the mother drinking during pregnancy.

Which sadly, results in lifetime problems for the child.

It is entirely preventable by not drinking, during pregnancy.

Distressing and depressing for the child.
  • Ami2301
    Thank you for explaining @atlas46

I am sorry to hear this @taliam this must be a very worrying time for you :(

Has this diagnosis been confirmed or does your child need to have more tests?
  • taliam
    edited November 2018
    Sorry it wasn't meant to cut across like my son has FASD it is me that has this condition i am adopted myself I haven't seen my birth mother since I was 6 month old. Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is organic brain damage caused by a pregnant woman drinking alcohol in my case my condition wasn't picked up on until adulthood.
  • taliam
    No it hasn't been confirmed haven't got a clue how I would go about getting a formal diagnoses but I am desperate because Social Services have taken my 2 year old son and my 6 month old baby girl as a result of my condition although they are trying to say there is nothing wrong with me.
  • Ami2301
    I cannot put into words how sorry I am that you are going through this :(

Have you spoken to your GP?
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Have you trued FASD TRUST OR NOFAS UK both help people and families affected would proberly be the best two I can think of they have lots of information and advice ect 

Brightness