carers element on uc or carers allowance - help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

carers element on uc or carers allowance - help?

hannah1111
hannah1111 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I need some help !!! I'm confused my partner and I are relatively new to uc and I am also on pip , we get the couples amount of  uc , I'm told my partner should get carers element and he asked on journal 18 sept got no answer after much back and forth  questions from me my coach replied and said claim carers allowance , which he has now done and it's on going , I am now told he still has to claim carers element on uc even though o was told claim carers allowance ! can anybody clarify and give me a how to do this correctly help many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When claiming UC if you claim a qualifying benefit such as daily living PIP then you don't have to claim carers allowance to claim the Carers element of UC. You just have to be caring for the person that claims the PIP for at least 35 hours per week to qualify.

As your partner has now claimed the carers allowance then the carers allowance will be deducted from your UC, CA will pay him £64.40 per week separately and the UC will add a carers element of £156 per month. So, you'll be £156 per month better off. It may seem like you're worse off for your UC monthly payments when you're not. It's very complicated.

Your partner just needs to make sure that his claimant commitments are switched off so they're not made to look for work or attend any appointments.

Are you claiming LCW and sending in fit/sick notes from your GP or do you work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hannah1111, and welcome! I hope the above advice is helpful.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.