Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia

SJx
SJx Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi everyone im a bit nervous aboit posting on here please don't judge but I have fibromyalgia and I'm struggling with depression at the moment and I'm scared about getting into work and being judged by emolyper and collegues and people expecting me to behave in a certain way and told to smile all the time. That's so difficult when your struggling with low mood and mental health issues. I want to work but right now I feel so scared and I am worried this fear is going to hold me back ☹️ I've also lost a lot of confidence in myself so trying to rebuild on that but it's tricky x

Comments

• chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Hi @SJx. Welcome to the site and hope that you as well as can be.

I have only been on the site for a couple of months or so, so the site is still relatively new to me, but one of the things I found was that everyone on here is friendly, kind and never once been judged in any way.

There is a section that deals with Fibro, as well as other illnesses on the site, I think it's on the All Groups or Categories bit, I am sure someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly and correct me if I am wrong.

You can either ask the community or one of the special advisers, who are always  willing to answer questions which you have or any question that you need info or help with.

Welcome.

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SJx
    Well done for sharing this here, it is a great first step and there are lots of members here who do understand how you feel. It may help you to speak to our Support to Work team, they offer advice to disabled people applying for jobs.

There is also a blog here on the MIND website from a woman called Helen talking about her experience of depression and anxiety at work that might be good to read.

This information is on the Monster website:
    Coping with depression at work
    The first step in handling depression at work is to recognise it for what it is.
    Being depressed need not be permanent and the symptoms can be alleviated if you are correctly diagnosed.
    You should seek professional medical advice and this – in most cases – means booking an appointment with your GP.
    Don't be worried about taking time off work to do this.
    It could be time that is well spent and allows you to cope in the long run thereby avoiding a longer stint off work later because matters have been allowed to get too far.
    As well as seeking professional assistance, there are several things you can try which may help you to deal with depression.
    Many will help you to continue functioning in your job. These tips include:
    • Taking regular physical exercise. By working out, your body releases natural chemicals which can improve your state of mind and overall positivity.
    • Removing stress from your life. This could be by reassessing your work-life balance or dealing with work-related anxieties in new ways.
    • Keeping in contact. Although it may feel like a tough thing to do, making contact with old and trusted friends can help you to cope. A short phone call or text is often enough to get the ball rolling.
    • Taking better care of yourself. If you have let your appearance slip, then try to make yourself feel better by dressing smartly and preparing for work each day with care.
    • Switching to a healthy diet. Many professionals agree that healthy eating can have benefits for the state of your mental health.
    • Writing reminder notes. Depression can cause you to be distracted, so a good coping mechanism is to write down key things on sticky notes or a pad.
    • Reducing alcohol intake. Along with caffeine and tobacco, alcohol can make depression worse for many people so lessen your weekly consumption.
    Along with these self-help tips a clinical diagnosis of depression may mean you can access further support.
    Typical treatments for depression include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), counselling, group therapy and psychotherapy.
    In many cases such treatments can fit in around your work commitments.
    Remember, depression does not need to be final.
    Share your situation with those closest to you and seek the appropriate professional help to find yourself on the right path to a better life.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness