Blue badge and mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge and mental health

I read last night that people who have a mental health condition they can get a blue badge in 2019. It's unfair at present my son got enhanced pip in both components and we were sent information to get a blue badge only to be told he didn't qualify, but I believe he will from next year if I've read the article right. Anybody else read this 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I haven’t read anything yet, but because your son has enhanced PIP on the mobility part I understood it was an automatic blue badge but it looks as if it’s not the case. Maybe your son was awarded the enhanced rate on planing following a journey and not to do with any mobility issues. 
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    As far as I understand it, the current plan is to allow automatic qualification for those who score 10 points for being unable to make a journey but not those who score 12 points in planning and following.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Thank you. I 've been told and read that for people with certain mental health conditions from sometime next year they will qualify under new government changes. The current system is saying that mental health is not as important as a physical confition......wrong. Because charities and the public complained to the government it appears (holding my breath) that they've agreed it was discriminatory 

Brightness