PIP Tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal

Hills41
Hills41 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My husband has m.s and his dla has stopped so we can move to pip who have of course threw out our claim. We are waiting on tribunal date and cab will not represent us. I'm worried about the stress this is having on my husbands health. I don't know where to go next 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hills41

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Can you please contact our helpline: 0808 800 3333.

They will be more than happy in helping you with things!!!!!

Please please come back to me as I can help/support you further if required.

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Hills41,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your PIP claim, it really does sound like a stressful time for you.

We have lots of useful information about the DWP appeals process on our website which might be of interest to you. As @steve51 says, you can also contact our free Helpline on 0808 800 3333 and they will be able to advise you further.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • juney56
    juney56 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I'm juneyt56 I also was on DLA indefenitley .pip just threw my claim out. the person I got was a nasty woman I have never felt so degraded in all my days but I'm waiting on tribrunial I'm not expecting much to be honest what they are doing to people is so dam degrading 

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    juney56 said:
    Hi I'm juneyt56 I also was on DLA indefenitley .pip just threw my claim out. the person I got was a nasty woman I have never felt so degraded in all my days but I'm waiting on tribrunial I'm not expecting much to be honest what they are doing to people is so dam degrading 

It's not just the waiting and putting your case forward, it's the thought that these re-assessments will happen with regularity throughout the time you are claiming PIP. The average length of an award is around 3 years which means that you have to go through it again approx. 2 years after the time before.

I had it for the past 5 years and 3 face to face assessments and had to fight the first two to get back the award I should have had (0 points to Enhanced Mobility & Care). After the third I just couldn't cope anymore and gave up

• juney56
    juney56 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sorry to hear that I didn't know you had to go through more assesments is it actually worth putting yourself through this that first assesment was really bad I don't want to go through that again 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    juney56 said:
    Sorry to hear that I didn't know you had to go through more assesments is it actually worth putting yourself through this that first assesment was really bad I don't want to go through that again 
    Almost everybody has to be re-assessed at regular intervals. One of the reasons why PIP was brought out - there was no set re-assessment process under DLA, some were on DLA for 20 years with no checks being made by the DWP.
    It is hard, soul destroying in fact.

What makes it worse are the poor quality assessment reports that the DWP take as a given.
     I had three of them as I said, all three had me down as not fitting any of the descriptors so the DWP gave me 0 points - no award.
    I then had to fight to get them changed to Enhanced Care & Mobility (was on DLA form 1995 with an indefinite award of High Mobility & Care).  
    No sooner had I won the argument that another re-assessment was held.

At 70 I just couldn't face the system any longer
  • Hills41
    Today my husbands statement of reason eventually landed 5 weeks after tribunal. What a waste of time. They twisted everything yet again. 
  • Hills41
    They say if he can he can get into a car he can get into a bath and as he can bend down to get into car he can put on his own socks and shoes They say if he can drive he can cook. It's a joke
  • Yadnad
    Hills41 said:
    They say if he can he can get into a car he can get into a bath and as he can bend down to get into car he can put on his own socks and shoes They say if he can drive he can cook. It's a joke
    In a way they are right. They will draw conclusions to his abilities based on what he is capable of doing for himself.

• affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Hello I understand what you are going through I am going through the same but after struggling so much I found a local advisor pls search within your local community service xx
  • Yadnad
    Hills41 said:
    They say if he can he can get into a car he can get into a bath
    My wife went for a council run assessment for her walking for a renewal of her blue badge.
    The assessor assumed quite wrongly that because she used our daughter's car (a jaguar) and was seen to get out of it she was deemed able to walk more than 80 metres!! Thus she was refused her blue badge.
    Apparently so she told me, the assessor was continually asking her how she got in the car, was it not too low to drive etc.

• Yadnad
    Yes Mike I know you have and it was an eye opener for me and probably many many others that this was an option that people very rarely took up.
    Obviously not knowing this at the time I thought that it was a done deal between the assessor and the DWP. For none of my previous claims I made no reference to the length for that reason. If you don't know that it is available why would you think of asking.
    Without repeating myself, it no longer affects me as I no longer claim PIP so I put it down to a little more knowledge that I can pass on to others.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.