Really needs help, housing adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really needs help, housing adaptations

Gemw1
Gemw1 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
I've posted on.here before I have a severely disabled child and we are currently trying to get adaptions for our home to make it accessible to him. They have so far produced 3 plans and non of them fully allow him independence they have a duty of care where can I turn to so that we are listened to 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, the council have a duty of care but also have to work in a tight budget, how ever having been given three plans what’s is wrong with the plans that don’t allow your son to be fuller independent? Are you being asked to fund part of the project yourselves? Maybe a letter or email to your MP my be in order to assist you in finding a sullotion to you building plans, or the local planing department  for advice or opinion. Keep us updated, good luck.
  • Gemw1
    It's the lack of space it would give my son is wheelchair bound and the current plan wouldn't even get a sofa in my front room let alone turn him around. The other plans have been the same I will try my MP I hadn't thought of that thank you 
  • PTSDdisabled
    PTSDdisabled Posts: 41 Connected
    Gemw1 said:
    It's the lack of space it would give my son is wheelchair bound and the current plan wouldn't even get a sofa in my front room let alone turn him around. The other plans have been the same I will try my MP I hadn't thought of that thank you 
    See if a person at CAB can help you with this. 

If you have access to a computer look up:

LawWorks

https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals

If you do not have a computer, your local library may have computers you can use.

You can search for a Law centre near to you, where you can get assistance with Benefits.

I found 15 Law centres within 10 miles of where I live.

This is a short video from Mary Ward Centre, London.

What to do if you fail an ESA medical assessment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKwgX4IjIWU&feature=youtu.be
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jean_Scope can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Gemw1
    Ok Sam what would they be 
  • Gemw1
    Sorry missed read your post sam 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemw1

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away from the office for a few days.

Unfortunately, Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) home adaptations do not undertake to make the disabled person as independent as they can possibly be. DFG just undertakes to address the very basic needs criteria outlined for the grant scheme. The priority for the local authority will be meeting the assessed needs covered by the DFG criteria by the most cost effective means possible.

However, if the plans that have been suggested, so far, won't allow you to sit together as a family in a reception room (note I say a reception room, not all reception rooms if you have more than one) and prevent your son from turning round then you probably have grounds for complaint.

This should initially be via the local authority's own formal complaints procedure, and then, if you don't get a satisfactory outcome, escalate the matter to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman: https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint/fact-sheets/housing/housing-adaptations-for-people-with-disabilities
    If you follow the link and scroll towards the bottom of the page you will find a link to to a useful DFG good practice guide published by care and repair, titled "Delivering Housing Adaptations for Disabled People - A detailed Guide to related legislation, guidance and good practice'.

As has already been suggested copying your complaint to your MP might also be helpful. 

It would be wise to evidence your complaint, as best you can, by showing how the suggested adaptations will not meet your son's assessed needs. If you have an alternative suggestion for how your son's assessed needs can be met it would be sensible to include a copy of it. Potentially it might be useful to commission an independent Occupational Therapy report to back up what you are saying, if you have the means to do so:   https://www.rcotss-ip.org.uk/find

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Gemw1
    Hi and thank you how do I find out what my son assessed needs are I've got no copy of amy thing that may of be suggested. Also if I went to a independent occupational therapist does this get back to the current one and cause problems many thanks for your advice 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemw1

The OT who made the recommendations of what adaptations are needed must have based those recommendations on what she has assessed your son's needs to be. If that information hasn't been given to you ask for a copy of it.

If you buy a service from an independent OT that is a private matter between you and her. You could ask her to critique the existing plans and/or make her own recommendations in a report which would be sent to you. You can then decide if you want to use that report as part of your complaint to the complaint or not.

Best Wishes

Jean  

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Gemw1
    Thanks Jean we are into our 9th month of waiting now you information as really helped kind regards Gemma 

Brightness