I'm in pain all the time and can't sleep. Has anyone got any tip to help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm in pain all the time and can't sleep. Has anyone got any tip to help?

teresad
teresad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm not sure if I'm classed as disabled, but I do feel it. I have recently been diagnosed with c o p d and fibromyalga. I'm in pain all the time and can't sleep. Has anyone got any tip to help? 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @teresad welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear this, you are not alone as many members of our comminity suffer with COPD and Fobromyalgia. I am sure they will be more than happŷ to get in touch with you to offer advice and support.

Do let us know if we can be of any further assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • wrinkly65
    wrinkly65 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    hi im along term sufferer of fibro and my son more recently. I take 5 HTP tablet an hour before bed as does my son and  magnesium in the day. This helps with a better sleep especially if you have restless leg syndrome. I have also found tai chi, sports massages and occasional visits to chiropractor help, I no longer lay there for hours wanting to scream-sure you know the feeling.If it affects you enough with daily tasks esp. dressing, cooking and mobility try the points award section on this site to see if affected enough for help. good luck .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @teresad, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. I know it can feel like a vicious cycle when it can prevent you from sleeping and make you feel worse the next day as a result!

Hopefully our community will be able to share their tips, and you may also be interested in this article about sleeping better with chronic pain: there's some interesting information on which pillows are suitable for certain sleeping positions!
  • synergy2120
    synergy2120 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    hi, one thing i have found that helps is sleeping with a heated blanket, i keep mine on all night as the warmth helps the pain in my joints. I cant do it in summer though.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi teresad and welcome

First of all you are not " classed " as disabled.

COPD and fibro can be very debilitating and if you find that your daily living and or mobility are suffering then you should apply for PIP.

I have had COPD for nearly 10 years now, somedays are better than others.
    Sometimes I find laying down to sleep very difficult so on those nights I sleep propped up on pillows which helps.
    Make sure you remain active when you can and eat a healthy diet.

There are many different inhalers to help with breathlessness, make sure you are using the the correct technique. It can take time to find what works for you so keep in touch with your GP or nurse 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • berthA22
    berthA22 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Hello teresa,
    I am new to this forum myself,I finddifficulty sleeping with copd and other complications,but I agree with the people who say sleep with at least two pillows ,I also try and keep my body as fit as my illnesses allow.This helps me cope with the challenges of the day. 
       I try and see each day as a present, I know it sounds like a cliche,but it works for me, (most of the time.)
    I find reading the comments of other correspondents, helps in more ways than I can imagine.I  hope you find something helpful for yourself, good luck and cheers
  • teresad
    teresad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi berthA22, thank you for your welcome and reply. Much appreciated 

Brightness